• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fi...l/viewall.html

2013 Honda CRF250L | First Ride
    The Ultimate Low-Dollar Dual Sport?

They say: “It does everything.”
    We say: “And does everything well!”

We’re still brushing the dust off our gear after a fantastic first ride on Honda’s new CRF250L. Big Red’s last excursion into the small-bore dual sport segment was with the CRF230L. Its reedy little air-cooled, SOHC crossed over from benign to lethargic, and its chassis wore the low-buck origins like a rusty badge. And so the 230L struggled to fulfill its intended purpose.

It’s a new day, and the 250L is a more capable adventure companion in every way. Honda built the 250L around the fuel-injected, water-cooled single from the CBR250R, and in so doing blessed the bike with a wide spread of power and perfect throttle response. The engine is slotted into a new chassis that boasts an inverted Showa fork, aluminum swingarm and Honda’s Pro-Link rear suspension. It’s all draped in attractive CRF250R-style bodywork and retails for just $4499—that’s $500 less than the 230L, last sold in 2009.

2013 Honda CRF250L
    2013 Honda CRF250L
    2013 Honda CRF250L

Honda invited us up to Santa Barbara to sample the new bike, setting up a route that included in-town riding, canyon strafing, and some excellent OHV trails high in the Santa Ynez Mountains. The CRF is an impeccable suburban transporter, offering a high vantage point from which to assess traffic. But it’s not perfect: The seat is hard and narrow, and the radiator wafts warm air onto your left leg in traffic. Even so, the CRF’s peppy power, agile handling, and a claimed 73 miles per gallon (on regular unleaded) mean this is destined to be top choice for college students and frugal commuters for those reasons alone.

Riding up the into the Santa Ynez Mountains, the little CRF did a fine job of untangling the twisty, scabby pavement thanks to its wide bars and big wheels shod with narrow IRC rubber. Once at the summit we enjoyed some 30-plus miles of off-roading on loose fire roads and rough, steep single track. The CRF took it all in stride, though the front tire didn’t offer as much grip as we’d like for fast-paced dirt riding. Still, the CRF proved to be the perfect vehicle for adventure, and considering how well it worked in town and on the canyon roads coming up, it’s really impressive how versatile this little bike is. And all for just $4499! Yes, we mentioned that once already, but it bears repeating. In the CRF250L, Honda’s turned out a capable, remarkably inexpensive bike that doesn’t have to make many excuses for its performance.

TECH
    Price $4,499
    Engine type l-c single
    Valve train DOHC, 4v
    Displacement 249cc
    Bore x stroke 76.0 x 55.0mm
    Compression 10.7:1
    Fuel system EFI
    Clutch Wet, multi-plate
    Transmission 6-speed
    Claimed horsepower na
    Claimed torque na
    Frame Steel-tube perimeter
    Front suspension Showa inverted fork
    Rear suspension Showa shock with adjustable spring preload
    Front brake Nissin two-piston caliper, 256mm disc
    Rear brake Nissin one-piston caliper, 220mm disc
    Front tire IRC Trails GP-21F
    Rear tire IRC Trails GP-22R
    Rake/trail 27.3˚/4.4 in.
    Seat height 34.7 in.
    Wheelbase 56.9 in.
    Fuel capacity 2 gal.
    Claimed curb weight 320 lbs.
    Colors Red
    Available Now
    Warranty 12 mo., unlimited mi.
    Contact American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
    P.O. Box 2200 Torrance, CA 90509
    www.honda.com

VERDICT 4.5 out of 5 stars
    There’s nearly nothing not to like!
    Iubesc masinile japoneze. Ele nu mint, nu inseala !
    ACURA & HONDA SUV FAN CLUB ROMANIA - http://daimyo.ro/index.php?action=forum

Comment

• http://www.sportrider.com/industry_n...ycle_division/

American Honda Announces the Retirement of Ray Blank, Senior Vice President of the Motorcycle Division

Torrance, CA: American Honda announces that effective October 1, 2012, Senior Vice President of the Motorcycle Division Ray Blank will retire. Robert Gurga has been promoted to the position of Vice President, Motorcycle Division.

“After nearly 30 years with the Motorcycle Division, I have made the decision to step down,” said Blank. “American Honda has been wonderful to me over all these years, and I am very proud of what the people at American Honda have all achieved together through both the good and bad times. I never thought I would have the good fortune to be involved with so many great motorcycles and industry friends during my time here. I want to thank everyone I’ve worked with for memories I never dreamed possible.”

Robert Gurga has been with the Motorcycle Division for 34 years, and previously served as Assistant Vice President of Marketing. “Ray Blank has been a great leader here at American Honda and for the industry as well,” said Gurga. “We look forward to taking on new challenges as our business continues to evolve and our industry experiences new growth in the years to come. These are very exciting times for the powersports industry, and American Honda will continue to create opportunities for our sport to grow through innovative products and programs.”

About American Honda
      American Honda Motor Co., Inc. is the sole distributor of Honda motorcycles, scooters, ATVs and MUVs in the U.S. American Honda’s Motorcycle Division conducts the sales, marketing, and operational activities for these products through authorized Honda dealers. For more information on Honda products, go to www.powersports.honda.com.

Comment

• http://www.business-standard.com/ind...onth/186386/on

Hero to drop Honda tag from all models this month
        To increase scooter production to 60,000 per month and 125cc bikes to 75,000 units a month

The country's largest two-wheeler maker Hero MotoCorp will complete dropping the badge of its erstwhile joint venture partner Honda from all its existing products within this month, two years ahead of schedule.

Buoyed by good response to its new model Maestro, which was launched under the Hero brand, the company is also doubling its scooter production capacity to 60,000 units a month.

Moreover, it is hiking the production capacity of its 125 cc bikes to 75,000 units a month.

"The acceptance of our new identity and the market response that we have received on our three new Hero branded models -- Impulse, Maestro and Ignitor -- make us confident to go ahead. Our entire range of products would have moved to the Hero brand within this month," Hero MotoCorp Senior Vice-President (Marketing and Sales) Anil Dua told PTI.

The company had begun the exercise of dropping the Honda badge from its products starting with its best selling model range Splendor in April this year.

"Now almost all of the models have moved to the Hero brand and only CD Dawn and CD Deluxe are left," he said.

Currently the company sells 18 models in the market, out of which three were launched under the Hero brand after the firm announced its new brand identity in London last August.

The 15 other models have been sold under the erstwhile Hero Honda brand.

As part of their parting agreement, Hero MotoCorp has time till 2014 to use the Honda brand in its products.

In December 2010, the Indian promoter of the firm, the B M Munjal family, had agreed to buyout the entire 26% stake of Honda in Hero Honda for Rs 3,841.83 crore.

It brought an end to a 26-year-old successful joint venture.

On increasing scooter production capacity, Dua said, "The Maestro, which is targeted towards young men, has done well. It has complemented our other scooter Pleasure, which is targeted towards women. Therefore, we are increasing scooter capacity to 60,000 units a month".

Earlier, the company had a scooter production capacity of about 30,000 units a month.

Its scooter sales in August stood at 42,836 units, a jump of 51.62% from the same month last year.

For the April-August period this fiscal, Hero MotoCorp's scooter sales were at 1,87,846 units as against 1,58,825 units in the year-ago period, up 18.27%.

Commenting on the 125cc bike segment, he said, "With Ignitor coming in, we have expanded the portfolio in this segment to four models. Also, we are increasing the production capacity of this segment to 75,000 units a month and we may even increase it further."

The company's existing capacity is about 60,000 units per month, he said, adding, "we are doing extremely well and moving faster in the 125 cc segment in this otherwise suppressed market".

Dua said the investments on the capacity hike will be a part of the Rs 2,575 crore plan announced in June for expansion.

This includes setting up two new plants in Gujarat and Rajasthan and an R&D centre by 2013-14.

Asked about the festive season, he said, "The overall market has slowed down but we expect the situation to change in the festive season. With our new models doing well, we are looking forward to it optimistically".

In order to boost sales during the festivities, he said the company will be "investing a lot on advertising and on-ground activities like test rides" to promote the Hero brand and its products.

"During the cricket T20 World Cup, we will be airing new advertisements for the Maestro, Ignitor and another in the premium segment," Dua said.

Comment

• http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/16/au...mics.html?_r=0

Reality Check From Honda, in Touch With Economics

NO one would blame you for interpreting Honda’s introduction of the 2012 NC700X as an attempt to bring some sanity back to motorcycling.

This model is, in many ways, the “not” bike: not a 175-horsepower sports machine, not a radically stretched cruiser, not some full-boat cross-continent touring rig. Instead, the new Honda — new to the United States, that is, it is already on sale in Europe — is aimed at the mainstream, no apology offered.

Sure, Honda lists it as an adventure-class entry, but Cycle World magazine’s recent naming of the NC700X as its Best Standard motorcycle for 2012 is probably a better indicator of the bike’s true mission. It is a tempting choice for riders who want versatility — and don’t need scare-you-to-death speed.

Terrific fuel economy tops a long list of attributes that includes clever storage options, stable handling and a price that starts at a reasonable $7,309, including destination charges. Honda will offer a wide range of accessories to elevate what is essentially a no-frills bike in its basic form to one that is suitable for touring and adventure trekking.

My test of the NC700X started at the arrivals area of the airport here on a day when the forecast of zero percent chance of rain turned into a deluge. The stock windscreen, less protective than the proverbial fig leaf, provided little cover (a taller and wider screen is a $170 option).

The rest of the bike performed flawlessly over hundreds of miles of wet pavement. The suspension’s 5.4 inches of front fork travel, and 5.9 inches at the rear from its single-shock Pro-Link layout proved more than adequate for coping with California’s deepening array of potholes. I expected a blowout, but the tires put up a good fight against California’s excessively grooved concrete freeways.

What really helped most in the wet, however, was not having an excess of power — none of that pesky wheelspin. That’s right: I’m extolling the virtues here of a rather pokey bike.

Honda said its research showed 90 percent of all motorcycle riders travel at speeds of 85 m.p.h. or less. So, that is where it placed the ceiling of the NC700X’s sweet spot of performance for a global market. The NC700X can exceed 85, but time is needed to build up to that momentum.

Even when run nearly wide open all the time, the bike’s stellar fuel mileage seemed to hold up. Honda says 64 m.p.g. fuel economy is achievable in everyday riding, but more — sometimes much more — is attainable.

On my four-hour ride from Long Beach to Las Vegas, I stopped hourly to top off the 3.7-gallon tank and assess the mileage. From sea level to roughly 4,000 feet in the Cajon Pass on Interstate 15, I recorded 61 m.p.g. I considered that impressive, as it was uphill much of the way, and I wasn’t sure the tank was full when I picked up the bike.

For the next hour, across the Mojave Desert, the bike averaged 70 m.p.g. For the final two hours, over four mountain passes, the NC700X managed 72 m.p.g. (A tail wind may have helped.) Undoubtedly, riding at a lower average speed, with more prudent throttle use, would have produced even gaudier numbers.

On a wide array of motorcycles, ridden along the same test route over the course of several years, I’ve seldom observed fuel economy of more than 50 m.p.g. Something around 40 m.p.g. is more the norm. The Honda’s result is all the more impressive because of its heft. At 474 pounds, it is no lightweight for a bike with two cylinders.

The NC700X is powered by a fuel-injected parallel twin that lays its cylinders forward at a 62-degree angle rather than placing them nearly upright. The undersquare design of the engine — its 670 cc displacement is the result of a 73-millimeter bore and an 80-millimeter stroke — helps assure a smooth delivery of torque, which peaks at a very low 4,750 r.p.m. Cost savings were realized by the use of branched passages for the intake and exhaust: only one throttle body and one catalytic converter is needed to serve both cylinders.

The placement of the cylinders, along with design possibilities opened up by a new steel trellis frame, offered plenty of space for a handy lockable storage compartment where the gas tank would normally be. It is large enough to fit a full-face helmet or backpack. (The fuel filler is in a small storage area atop the rear wheel.)

When outfitted with hard bags and a trunk — also options offered by Honda — the NC700X can be a real pack mule. Adding that equipment is not cheap, though, taking the bike beyond the $10,000 level when fully loaded. Two-up touring is possible, but the bike seems a bit small for that.

No doubt Honda or an aftermarket supplier will offer a more comfortable seat — the stock cushion is hard as a park bench, and would be a pretty miserable perch if one tried to sit through the bike’s full 250-mile fuel range.

Compared with more powerful motorcycles, keeping up with traffic on the NC700X requires more shifting of the standard 6-speed transmission. Fortunately, it runs up and down the gear range with silken precision.

Increasing the bike’s appeal to practical-minded riders is the optional dual-clutch transmission, a second-generation design that offers three operating modes: full manual push-button shifting as well as automated normal and sport selections. The fuel economy estimate drops to 61 m.p.g. with the dual-clutch transmission and the weight increases by 31 pounds.

In part, that gain comes from the inclusion of integrated antilock brakes with the $9,309 dual-clutch model.

In most important regards, the bike is perfectly competent. It is agile, economical, well built and, because it is a Honda, likely to be very reliable. For the commuter, it can be a dream machine. For the newbie rider, it is a logical step up from a 125 cc or 250 cc model and a fuel-sipping mode of transportation.

Comment

• http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/09/24...ces-2013-team/

wSBK: Honda Announces 2013 Team

Honda Press Release:

Honda has announced its plans for the 2013 World Superbike and World Supersport championships, which include a new four-rider line-up, a comprehensive technical development and testing program as well as a new title sponsor.

In the World Superbike championship, current rider Jonathan Rea has signed with the team once more and will team-up with fellow Briton Leon Haslam on the Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade. In the World Supersport championship, Italian Lorenzo Zanetti will ride Honda a CBR600RR alongside Michael van der Mark from the Netherlands.

Italian snack manufacturer Pata is the new title sponsor of the reinvigorated squad which will be known as the Pata Honda World Superbike and Pata Honda World Supersport teams. Both groups will once again be run by the Netherlands-based Ten Kate organization.

For Jonathan Rea, 2013 will mark a fifth year on Honda’s CBR1000RR Fireblade and his sixth season of racing with Ten Kate. The 25-year-old has enjoyed a spectacular and busy 2012, combining his World Superbike duties, including wins at Assen and Donington Park with getting married and winning the Suzuka 8-hour race.

More recently, Northern Irishman Rea has replaced the injured Casey Stoner in the Repsol Honda MotoGP team, riding back-to-back Grands Prix with the final three rounds of World Superbike.

Haslam, 29, returns to Honda’s CBR machinery after a three-year absence to continue a strong family link to the Japanese manufacturer. It was begun by his father, Ron, who won Formula 1 world championships and raced with Honda in 500cc Grands Prix.

With his own 250cc and 500cc GP experience, the younger Haslam, from Derbyshire in the UK, has been racing in the World Superbike championship since 2009 and was runner-up in the 2010 series. He has amassed a total of 28 podium finishes, including three race wins.

Lorenzo Zanetti is from Brescia in Italy and has been in the World Superbike paddock for three years, but began his career with Honda, winning the RS125 GP Cup in Italy in 2004. The 25-year-old finished third in the 2011 Superstock 1000 championship and has spent the 2012 season competing in the World Superbike series with a best result of eighth last time out at the Nurburgring in Germany.

Michael van der Mark currently leads the Superstock 600 UEM European championship in only his second season with the EAB Ten Kate Honda Junior Team. The 19-year-old from Gouda in the Netherlands began his career racing in the Dutch 125cc Junior Cup and has spent the last five years on Honda machinery.

Pata is one of Italy’s most successful snack manufacturers and is famous for the popular Artigianale brand of potato chips. The company, which employs more than 250 people, was founded in 1981 by Remo Gobbi and is based in Castiglione delle Stiviere in northern Italy.

Following the completion of the 2012 World Superbike championship at Magny-Cours, France on 7 October, the Pata Honda teams will commence a comprehensive testing and development program in preparation for the 2013 season, which is expected to start at Phillip Island next February.

Jonathan Rea

I’m happy to continue my partnership with Honda in this exciting championship. I’ve been loyal to Honda my whole career and that’s because I believe in them as a company and I believe that we can achieve more together in the future. It’s no secret that we’ve been lacking in certain areas but I know there is a team of determined and dedicated guys working away both at the races and at the workshop to improve the bike and to try and be a consistent front runner for next season. They’ve got some very exciting plans for 2013 and beyond, and I’m sure that with a strong team-mate like Leon, we can all work together to make next season memorable for all the right reasons.

Lorenzo Zanetti

It feels good to be coming home to Honda after winning the RS125GP Cup in Italy. This is a great opportunity for me to ride for the team that has won eight of the last 11 World Supersport titles. I think that riding for these guys on Honda’s 2013 CBR600RR will be my best opportunity to show what I can do. The chance to work with such professional people and to be a part of the big Honda family is one that I hope I can maximize and enjoy as much as possible.

Michael van der Mark

When I started two years ago in Superstock, I had a dream to go to World Supersport and maybe World Superbike. These two years have been really great and now I get an opportunity to go to Supersport on the Ten Kate Honda CBR600 and I’m really looking forward to it. For sure, I have to learn a lot but I’m really excited because I already tried a bit in Moscow this year. It was a really positive experience and now I get a full season to show what I can do.

Ronald ten Kate – Team Manager

As we all know, Honda is a company whose history is based on racing. Ten Kate Racing is the same, and to find a new partner that is so passionate about our sport seems to be a perfect fit for us. We are truly excited and honored to join forces with Pata for next year. Our new Superbike rider line-up with Jonathan and Leon is stronger than ever and, on the technical side, there will be a lot of upgrades for next season on all fronts, so we really can’t wait for 2013 to start. We are back to full strength with our Supersport effort and have two exciting riders. With Lorenzo we have a lot of experience and talent and in Michael we have a direct product of our Junior program, who also happens to be our first Dutch rider, which makes us all very proud.

Remo Gobbi – President, Pata S.p.A.

We have been in the World Superbike paddock for many years but never before have we worked with an official team such as this. Now we are very happy to have this important partnership with Honda, which is the biggest and best motorcycle manufacturer. Of course, we are all looking forward to great results and I think that, with the experience of this team and its riders, we can achieve those results. Pata is committed to quality in its manufacturing and is passionate about motorsport. We are looking forward to developing our partnership with Honda which operates on exactly the same principles.

Carlo Fiorani – Racing Operations Manager, Honda Motor Europe

I am very proud and happy to make this announcement, especially with this fast and winning rider line-up. I would like to welcome Leon back to Honda’s official World Superbike team. We are delighted to have another Haslam representing Honda once more and I am sure that, with these two riders, we can continue to achieve results that can fulfill their individual potential and that of the CBR1000RR Fireblade.

At the same time, we are really happy that Jonathan can continue his World Superbike adventure with us. Together with the Ten Kate guys, we are really looking forward to continuing his development as a rider, which began with us and the team many years ago. I’m sure that the great experience of both riders will allow them both to fight again for the World Superbike title.

Of course, we are also very happy to welcome Lorenzo Zanetti back to Honda in our World Supersport program, and Michael’s promotion to this series is proof that the Ten Kate Honda rider development program really works. We are confident that Lorenzo’s and Michael’s talent and experience will allow them to compete strongly for the title that Honda has won with Ten Kate so many times in recent years.

Across this bigger team, we are of course delighted to welcome Pata as Honda’s title partner. It is clear that both companies share a passion for motorsport and a real dedication to quality. We are all looking forward to combining that passion and commitment to create some great results in 2013.

For more information: www.hondaworldsuperbike.com

=================================

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/motorc...latform-62271/

Honda plans more 100cc commuter motorcycles for India, based on the Dream Yuga platform

Japanese two wheeler giant Honda has made no bones about the fact that it wants to become the biggest player in the Indian two wheeler space by 2020. The Dream Yuga 110 commuter motorcycle, which was launched earlier this year, was one of the first products that would take Honda further towards its goal of being numero uno in India. In the coming years, Honda plans more 100cc motorcycles for the Indian market. These commuter motorcycles are expected to be based on the Dream Yuga platform, which in turn uses parts from the Honda Shine.

2012 Honda Dream Yuga 110 Commuter Motorcycle

The Dream Yuga 110, Honda’s first motorcycle to target market leader Hero MotoCorp’s supremacy in the commuter motorcycle segment, has been doing good numbers, with Honda boosting production by 50% to meet growing demand. Honda plans to sell 300,000 units of the Dream Yuga in 10 months and by the looks of it, the two wheeler major seems well on course to achieve that target. So, more motorcycles based on the Dream Yuga platform with engine capacities of 100cc will only seek to further boost volumes of the Honda brand in India.

Currently, Hero MotoCorp leads the pack in the high volume commuter motorcycle segment with the triumvirate of highly successful sub brands like the Dawn, Splendor and the Passion. The commuter motorcycle segment is the highest selling sector in the Indian two wheeler space. Hero MotoCorp is well entrenched in both urban and rural India while Honda is more of a urban brand. To increase commuter motorcycle sales, Honda also needs to have a bigger presence in rural India for which the Japanese brand has embarked upon an aggressive expansion drive along with a big marketing drive to boot.

Honda has been one of the few outliers in the Indian two wheeler market over the last few months. While the rest of the two wheeler maker have shown a fall in sales numbers, Honda has managed to grow its marketshare on the back of the Dream Yuga 110. Hero MotoCorp on the other hand, has tied up with a range of foreign technology suppliers like AVL Austria, Erik Buell Racing and Engines Engineering to gain new technology for its new products. Honda’s technology sharing agreement with Hero MotoCorp is scheduled to end in 2014 and this agreement unlikely to continue after that year given that Honda wants to compete directly with Hero.

Source TheHinduBusinessLine

Comment

• http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...n-plain-sight/

Honda CB-1.5 – Big Changes Hiding in Plain Sight

Many of us have had the experience of seeing a motorcycle, and noticing nothing out of the ordinary, we walk right by, but then, something makes us turn around and look again. With this bike, however, what builder Alex Zemlin calls his Honda CB-1.5, the craftsmanship is so subtle, the quality of the modifications so high, most of us wouldn’t turn around and that’s a shame, because it is a beautiful piece of work.

Alex sent me some photos he thought we would appreciate. This 1989 Honda CB-1 was originally powered by a 400cc inline four. Nice bike, lots of fun, but Alex thought it would be even nicer and more fun if he put some extra power in the light and compact frame. The engine from a ’96 CBR600F3 seemed like just the ticket, and that’s what you see here, hence the CB-1.5 designation.

He modified the frame to make room for the engine, the carbs fit nicely between the frame rails and the airbox fits perfectly under the tank. He modified the wiring harness so he could use the throttle position sensor for the F3 carbs.

Up front are 2007 CBR600RR forks with radial calipers. Gauges come from the same place. Wheels are F3 front and rear. Rear shock courtesy of a CBR900RR with an ST1300 spring.

He installed full race stainless head pipes with a Ducati 1098 muffler.

The end result is a 406 pound bike with 94 horsepower to the rear wheel, about twice what you would get from a stock CB-1.

This is the kind of work I can really appreciate, big changes and it looks completely stock and just the thing to surprise the heck out of some 600cc sport bike rider who can’t seem to shake the little CB-1. Nice work, Alex! Very nice.

Comment

• http://www.twowheelmania.com/2012/09...n-haslam-2013/

Honda Signs Jonathan Rea, Leon Haslam For 2013

Jonathan Rea had good reason to celebrate while at the Portimao track in Portugal. Not only did he claim a second place finish during the second moto, just missing out on the top spot, but he also reached an agreement to rejoin the Honda Superbike team in 2013.

“I’m happy to continue my partnership with Honda in this exciting championship,” said Rea. “I’ve been loyal to Honda my whole career and that’s because I believe in them as a company and I believe that we can achieve more together in the future.”

The announcement ends speculation about where Rea would end up in the 2013 season. He was rumored to be considering a move from Superbike to the MotoGP circuit.

Leon Haslam‘s destination was also the source of some debate ever since he announced that he would not be returning to the BMW team. According to Crash.net, Haslam rode a private Honda model to success in 2009. His move back to the manufacturer will try to recapture some of the success he has struggled to find in the past few years with BMW.

Honda also announced its Supersport team for the next motorsports season. Italy’s Lorenzo Zanetti will ride with the Netherlands’ Michael van der Mark in 2013.

Comment

• http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...b1c7f8994ca.91

Honda to assemble motorcycles in Bangladesh

DHAKA — Japan's Honda Motor signed a joint venture deal with Bangladesh's state-owned steel corporation BSEC Thursday to assemble motorcycles for the South Asian nation's booming economy, officials said.

The Japanese automobile giant will own 70 percent stake in the company, called Bangladesh Honda Private Limited, with the rest owned by Bangladesh Steel and Engineering Corporation, said BSEC director Mobarak Hossain.

The venture will assemble motorcycles at a rented facility from next year with the first year's production target of 30,000 pieces, he told AFP, adding the parts would be imported from Honda plants in neighbouring nations.

"But our plan is to manufacture motorcycle engines and other key parts in Bangladesh in about five years' time. We'll move to a permanent factory after two years and then gradually we'll increase production," he said.

Sales of motorcycles have been booming in Bangladesh with the building of a road network that now connects almost every village and town.

Last year 107,927 motorcycles were sold in the country, with a yearly growth of 22 percent, according to the Bangladesh Road Transport Authority, which keeps the data on new vehicle sales.

Comment

• http://www.ridermagazine.com/latest-...cle-models.htm

2013 Honda Motorcycle Models

The list of 2013 Honda models is growing as a dozen new additions were recently released. This latest release includes four different variations of the Shadow—the Aero, Phantom, RS and Spirit—each with their own unique and distinctly different cruiser persona to meet rider demands for style and preferences. When these move up to a large-displacement V-twin, they can choose between the Sabre, Stateline, Interstate or the radical Fury. The dual-sport XR650L and the CBR250R also return for 2013, along with the Rebel 250, which has been a favorite among new riders for 27 years. Last, but certainly not least, is the 2013 Gold Wing with the world’s first motorcycle airbag.

Gold Wing

For nearly three decades, the Gold Wing has been the ultimate motorcycle for two-up long-distance travel, and the 2013 Gold Wing continues this legacy. The Gold Wing incorporates a built-in MP3/iPod interface and a SRS CS Auto technology surround-sound system for a premium listening experience. Optional features include ABS and the world’s first motorcycle airbag. New Light Silver Metallic and Gray Metallic join Ultra Blue Metallic and Candy Red colors for 2013. Availability: December 2012; MSRP: $23,990-$29,550.

2013 Honda Gold Wing

2013 Honda Gold Wing
                    Fury/Fury ABS

The Fury offers the rolling incarnation of the pure, undiluted chopper experience, with extreme lines and an open, airy frame that places the engine center stage. New Red and Black colors for 2013 (ABS Black only). Availability: November 2012; MSRP: $13,390-$14,390.

2013 Honda Fury

2013 Honda Fury
                    Sabre

The Sabres pro-street-style cruiser struts an aggressive look and offers the credentials to back it up with a powerful 1312cc V-twin engine incorporating Honda’s sophisticated Programmed Fuel Injection. New Black color for 2013. Availability: November 2012; MSRP: $12,250-$13,250.

2013 Honda Sabre

2013 Honda Sabre
                    Stateline

Featuring long, low lines that embody what cruising is all about, the Stateline blends traditional looks and progressive style elements. The deeply valanced fenders arc downward in classic retro style, yet the rolling chassis and overall lines bring a fresh look to the class. New Black color for 2013. Availability: November 2012; MSRP: $12,150-$13,150.

2013 Honda Stateline

2013 Honda Stateline
                    Interstate

High style merges with the ability to rack up big miles on the Honda Interstate. Hard leather bags offer convenient storage space and a big, traditional windscreen provides all-day riding comfort and convenience. New Light Metallic Silver color for 2013. Availability: November 2012; MSRP: $13,240 - $14,240.

2013 Honda Interstate

2013 Honda Interstate
                    Shadow Aero

With classic retro styling, low seat height and a power-packed V-twin engine now with sophisticated Programmed Fuel Injection and fine handling, the Shadow Aero serves as a most satisfying ride for a wide range of enthusiasts. New Black and Metallic Silver/Pearl White metallic colors for 2013 (ABS Black only). Availability: December 2012; MSRP: TBD.

2013 Honda Shadow Aero

2013 Honda Shadow Aero
                    Shadow Phantom

The Shadow Phantom emphasizes the joy of back-to-basics motorcycling by delivering a V-twin ride packing a uniquely clean and uncluttered appearance. Matte Black Metallic color returns for 2013. Availability: November 2012; MSRP: TBD.

2013 Honda Shadow Phantom

2013 Honda Shadow Phantom
                    Shadow RS

The Honda Shadow RS has higher footpegs to enhance ground clearance and its thoroughly modern liquid-cooled 745cc V-twin engine boasts Honda’s sophisticated Programmed Fuel Injection to enhance riding pleasure. New Black color for 2013. Availability: December 2012; MSRP: TBD.

2013 Honda Shadow RS

2013 Honda Shadow RS
                    Shadow Spirit 750

The Shadow Spirit 750 C2 is perfect for cruising city streets as well as exploring back-country roads with its big-bike look, distinctive street-rod styling and a muscular V-twin engine. New Ultra Blue Metallic Flame color joins Black for 2013 (ABS Black only). Availability: December 2012; MSRP: TBD.

2013 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 C2

2013 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 C2
                    XR650L

The dual-sport XR650L is equally at home on the road and in the dirt. With smooth and precise engine performance, comfortable ergonomics that easily handle two-up riding, and long-travel suspension to handle your off road excursions, the XR650L has garnered a loyal following that has traveled to many destinations thanks to this bike’s amazing versatility. Red color returns for 2013. MSRP: TBD.

2013 Honda XR650L

2013 Honda XR650L
                    CBR250R

The sporty CBR250R is equipped with an extremely efficient 249cc liquid-cooled single-cylinder engine featuring a sophisticated four-valve DOHC cylinder head, counterbalancer and PGM-FI fuel injection. It offers a broad range of accessible power plus the option of ABS if desired. This sport-oriented, lightweight machine delivers nimble handling, a broad spread of power, a great cruising range and low operating costs. New Repsol, Pearl White/Blue/Red, Black and Red colors for 2013 (ABS not available in Repsol). MSRP: TBD.

2013 Honda CBR250R

2013 Honda CBR250R
                    Rebel

The Rebel's classic style and good looks maintain an enduring appeal. It’s comfortable, light in weight and easy to maneuver whether you’re running errands around town or headed for a riding adventure. New Black color joins Candy Red for 2013. Availability: January 2013; MSRP: TBD.

2013 Honda Rebel

2013 Honda Rebel

For more information on Honda products, go to powersports.honda.com.

Comment

• http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/...dc+motorcycles

Honda Recalls NC700XC & NC700XDC Motorcycles

Honda has recalled certain model NC700XC and NC700XDC motorcycles due to power train issues. Honda says 1,542 motorcycles are affected.

Honda says some motorcycles may be equipped with drive chains that contain outer drive plates that were improperly heat-treated, resulting in plate fracture during use. If a plate breaks, the the motorcycle can unexpectedly lose propulsion, increasing the risk of a crash.

Honda will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and, if necessary, replace the drive chain, free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin on October 8, 2012. Owners may contact Honda customer service at 1-866-784-1870.

Honda's recall campaign number is S54. Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153), or visit safercar.gov.

Comment

• http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/bike...s-MotoGP-paint

New Honda scooter gets MotoGP paint

Scooter fans can now race to work on a machine with the same paint work as a Honda MotoGP machine.

Click photo at left to view Honda's new range of motorcycles.

Honda's new sporty NSC50R, one of three new machines the company unveiled at Cologne's International Motorcycle, Scooter and Bike Fair, comes in several colour schemes including that based on the Repsol Honda MotoGP team. It is also available in pearl white and grey metallic.

Other new machines unveiled are what the company calls a "classic naked CB1100" and a Dakar Rally race machine.

Honda says the NSC50R is a new 50cc scooter designed to attract young newcomers to two-wheeled transport. and a Repsol colour scheme based on the Repsol Honda MotoGP machine.

The CB1100 is described as "an exquisitely engineered mix of classic and naked styling that offers thoroughly modern and engaging performance with a timeless design". The CB1100 is powered by an air-cooled, in-line four cylinder engine.

The CRF450 Rally is Honda’s new challenger for the Dakar Rally and the company's first factory-backed machine to enter the rally since 1989. It is based on Honda’s production endure machine the CRF450X.

New colours and a Special Edition Crosstourer are also on display. The Special Edition Crosstourer has new graphics and a matt black look, including front forks, fender and tail section, for the 1200cc adventure sports tourer that went on sale earlier in 2012 while CBR1000RR Fireblade 2013 is unveiled with a new version of the Tricolore colour scheme, plus an all-new MotoGP inspired Repsol Honda colour.

There are also matt white versions for two models built in Honda's Atessa factory, the CB600F Hornet, and the CB1000R naked.

================================

http://sxsnews.com/index.php/2012/10...r-rally-racer/

Honda Unveils New Production Dakar Rally Racer

Torrance, CA: Honda unveiled its new CRF450 Rally model Dakar racer at the 2012 International Motorcycle, Scooter and Bike Fair in Cologne, Germany. The world debut of this production-based race machine centers on its entry in the Dakar Rally, which will be held in January 2013.

America’s Johnny Campbell, the 11-time Baja 1000 champion who previously gained Dakar Rally experience in Africa, will join riders Helder Rodrigues (Portugal), Felipe Zanol (Brazil), Sam Sunderland (United Kingdom) and Javier Pizzolito (Argentina) in an international effort. Honda entered factory teams nine times from 1981 onward in the forerunner of the present Dakar Rally, the Paris-Dakar Rally. Cyril Neveu (France) rode Honda to its first victory in 1982, the race’s fourth year, and from 1986 to 1989 Honda won four consecutive titles for an overall record of five victories in nine years. In 2013, Honda will aim for its first rally victory with a model built from a production-based machine.

The CRF450 Rally model is based on Honda’s commercial CRF450X off-road racing machine, but it differs in a number of ways. Changes include its use of Honda’s Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) system, increased fuel capacity and the addition of a sophisticated navigation system. In addition, other changes were made to the bodywork and chassis for protection, efficiency and durability. The CRF450 Rally model in its current configuration has undergone extensive testing in Japan and will be tested further in its first race at the Morocco Rally, beginning October 14th. The Morocco Rally will serve as a real-world test to gather data, identify any problems with the machine under actual race conditions, and pinpoint any operational issues.

Tetsuo Suzuki, President of Honda Racing Corporation (HRC) and Honda Motorcycle R&D, said, “Our young engineers have created a race machine based on the CRF450X production enduro bike. The Dakar Rally is a race that continues for two weeks across the hardest terrain of three different countries. The Dakar Rally is extremely long and extremely tough. This is a new challenge for us. Previously, we entered the Dakar Rally with machines purpose-built for racing. This time, we are aiming for our first victory in the Dakar Rally with a production-based machine.”

Johnny Campbell said, “My participation in the Dakar Rally over the past few years has been an amazing experience. I have been working very hard to bring the enthusiasm and attention of the USA to this prestigious global event. I am excited to be part of Honda’s official Dakar race team and I’m committed to its success. My role will be to provide consultant, development, rider and mechanical services as needed to the project.”

About American Honda

American Honda Motor Co., Inc. is the sole distributor of Honda motorcycles, scooters, ATVs and MUVs in the U.S. American Honda’s Motorcycle Division conducts the sales, marketing, and operational activities for these products through authorized Honda dealers. For more information on Honda products, go to www.powersports.honda.com .

Comment

• http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/bike...imid-new-world

New-age Honda for a timid new world

Aldous Huxley might have titled his influential futuristic 1931 novel, Brave New World, but it's looking increasingly likely that we'll inherit a timid one instead.

AT A GLANCE

Engine: 670cc liquid-cooled sohc eight-valve parallel twin, stoked by electronic fuel injection to develop 38.1kW (52bhp) at 6250rpm and 62Nm at 470rpm

Transmission: Six-speed sequential gearbox, chain final drive.

Frame: Steel-tube trellis frame and square-section steel rear swingarm; 41mm unadjustable front forks, unadjustable rear monoshock.

Price: $12,495

Hot: A extra $500 buys more comfort and finesse than the entry-level NC700S while attributes such as reduced thirst, flickable handling and strong brakes carry over

Not: World's most unsightly radiator cap, front wheel blasts the catalytic converter mounted directly behind it with corrosive road spray.

Just look at speed limits in this nation. As our desire for lifestyle properties accelerates the extension of the boundaries of our urban areas into the precious rural landscape, 80kmh signs are popping up all over the place.

Click on photo at left for more views of the Honda NC700X.

Smokers and drinkers are being increasingly marginalised, extreme sports are now heavily scrutinised to ensure that they're no longer extreme, and a nanny-state bureaucracy appears immune to the Government's cost-reducing rampage through the public sector.

Cometh the times, cometh the bikes, especially if there's a Honda badge attached to them.

Enter the $12,495 NC700X, a squeaky-clean church-mouse of a parallel twin dedicated to eco-correctness, and determined not to offend anyone.

The most extreme part of the new Honda is the "X" attached to its model nomenclature, and it's a bike aimed more at persuading people away from car use than caressing the "sweet spot" of old grey-bearded riders like me.

With 43 years of continuous biking under my belt, I'm potentially too old-school in my thinking, too jaded in attitude, and too expectant of high performance from a motorcycle of 670cc capacity to "get" the NC700X.

With an engine created by sawing a Jazz hatchback's 1.4-litre inline four in half, and a scooter-sized lockable storage area, it's definitely the most revolutionary new bike that I've ridden in years, but is this a revolution that's worth plonking down 12½ grand of your hard-earned for?

Extended seat time aboard the NC700X certainly aids that decision, for the timid new Honda is a "grower" in terms of its long-term appeal. The more you realise how little fuel it uses (3.7 litres per 100km), how comfortable and refined it is, and how it looks after your riding gear when you stop for a coffee, the more it starts to get under your skin.

Chuck in a couple of twisty back-road experiences, where the roadscape is too constricted to expose the soft engine performance and the easy flickable handling of the Honda truly shines, and the affection that's missing from the early encounters with the bike continues to grow.

It helps that this example is painted in the same Ducati-esque shade of red as a Fireblade sportsbike, for we all know that blood-coloured machines are subjectively faster.

It's also amazing what spending an extra $500 can do for a bike. Regular readers of this page will recall that the $11,995 NC700S sister-bike left me somewhat cold and uninspired a few weeks ago, whereas the X-model generated genuine respect.

The extra dollars buy crossover adventure bike styling complete with a small but effective screen, more absorbent suspension with extended wheel travel, a silky silver finish for the engine instead of matt black, and a more comfortable rider/machine interface.

One of the biggest wins when opting for the X is that the simple digital instrument panel that both NC700 bikes share is mounted higher and is therefore much easier to refer to. This salient feature eroded my resistance to the appeal of a NC700, for you need to refer to that panel quite often when riding one as there's little difference felt through the senses of whether you're travelling at 100 or 120kmh, such are the hushed noise, vibration, and harshness levels of the powertrain, and the consistency of the torque output throughout the engine's limited rev range.

Another reason you need those instruments placed in your line of sight to the road is that the linear tachometer needs constant monitoring to avoid hitting the rather officious rev limiter that cuts abruptly in at 6500rpm.

Car engine attributes such as a heavier crankshaft and longer piston strokes have been passed on to the NC700's motor, but I found myself wishing for a little more friction - if only to stop the rev-happy race of the engine to snuggle up to the rev limiter.

Said tacho also gives a reference to which of the six gears you've selected, which is handy as it's easy to lose track thanks to an engine whose sole concession towards character is a thumping bass-laden exhaust note. This is so well-muffled that you no longer hear anything but wind noise above 50kmh, hence the need to constantly fly the NC700 by instruments and use them to achieve the optimum mating of gear ratio to speed.

If the extra five-hundy bought the X-model's extra suspension travel alone it would be worth paying. As unadjustable as the shorter legs of the S-model, the 41mm front forks and rear monoshock each boast 30mm of extra wheel travel, giving an improved ride at all speeds over all roads.

A simple stat helps put the social responsibility exhibited by NC700X in perspective. The Honda tops out at 170kmh in sixth gear, roughly the speed that a "normal" Japanese 1000cc four-cylinder sportsbike achieves in first.

Huxley also wrote an essay on speed, calling it ''the one genuinely modern pleasure'' and comparing the hedonistic drug-like effects of modest amounts of velocity with the intense and painful experiences of higher ballistics. The mildest 600cc-plus Honda ever created would have provided the perfect example to go with that piece.

Comment

• http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/08/h...-crf450-rally/

Honda debuts production Dakar Racer CRF450 Rally

The Dakar Rally Raid is a spectacle unlike anything else in motorsports. With a course that tracks its way through some of the most unforgiving and forgotten areas in South America, the event is challenging enough for those who tackle the race on four wheels. The guys who make for the dunes on motorcycles, however, are simply our kind of insane.

Honda has chosen to honor this year's factory team with a production version of the race bike. The CRF450 Rally debuted at the 2012 International Motorcycle, Scooter and Bike Fair in Cologne, Germany, and is based on the standard CRF450.

Honda swapped in programmable fuel injection in place of the old carbs, bumped up the total fuel capacity and incorporated a new navigation system. Engineers also worked in new changes to both the chassis and bodywork to increase durability and protect the drivetrain from damage. Honda will first test the CRF450 Rally in the Morocco Rally later this month before putting it to task in the Dakar Rally in January. Take a look at the full press release below for more information.

====

Honda Unveils New Production Dakar Rally Racer

10/03/2012 - Torrance, CA

Honda unveiled its new CRF450 Rally model Dakar racer at the 2012 International Motorcycle, Scooter and Bike Fair in Cologne, Germany. The world debut of this production-based race machine centers on its entry in the Dakar Rally, which will be held in January 2013.

America's Johnny Campbell, the 11-time Baja 1000 champion who previously gained Dakar Rally experience in Africa, will join riders Helder Rodrigues (Portugal), Felipe Zanol (Brazil), Sam Sunderland (United Kingdom) and Javier Pizzolito (Argentina) in an international effort. Honda entered factory teams nine times from 1981 onward in the forerunner of the present Dakar Rally, the Paris-Dakar Rally. Cyril Neveu (France) rode Honda to its first victory in 1982, the race's fourth year, and from 1986 to 1989 Honda won four consecutive titles for an overall record of five victories in nine years. In 2013, Honda will aim for its first rally victory with a model built from a production-based machine.

The CRF450 Rally model is based on Honda's commercial CRF450X off-road racing machine, but it differs in a number of ways. Changes include its use of Honda's Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) system, increased fuel capacity and the addition of a sophisticated navigation system. In addition, other changes were made to the bodywork and chassis for protection, efficiency and durability. The CRF450 Rally model in its current configuration has undergone extensive testing in Japan and will be tested further in its first race at the Morocco Rally, beginning October 14th. The Morocco Rally will serve as a real-world test to gather data, identify any problems with the machine under actual race conditions, and pinpoint any operational issues.

Tetsuo Suzuki, President of Honda Racing Corporation (HRC) and Honda Motorcycle R&D, said, "Our young engineers have created a race machine based on the CRF450X production enduro bike. The Dakar Rally is a race that continues for two weeks across the hardest terrain of three different countries. The Dakar Rally is extremely long and extremely tough. This is a new challenge for us. Previously, we entered the Dakar Rally with machines purpose-built for racing. This time, we are aiming for our first victory in the Dakar Rally with a production-based machine."

Johnny Campbell said, "My participation in the Dakar Rally over the past few years has been an amazing experience. I have been working very hard to bring the enthusiasm and attention of the USA to this prestigious global event. I am excited to be part of Honda's official Dakar race team and I'm committed to its success. My role will be to provide consultant, development, rider and mechanical services as needed to the project."

About American Honda
                            American Honda Motor Co., Inc. is the sole distributor of Honda motorcycles, scooters, ATVs and MUVs in the U.S. American Honda's Motorcycle Division conducts the sales, marketing, and operational activities for these products through authorized Honda dealers. For more information on Honda products, go to www.powersports.honda.com.

================================================== =========================

http://blogs.sacbee.com/crime/archiv...cle-in-us.html

Honda is most stolen motorcycle in U.S.

Motorcycle thefts were down last year in the U.S., despite increased sales, according to an insurance industry group.

A report by the National Insurance Crime Bureau released today said 2011 motorcycle thefts are down six percent from the year before. A total of 46,667 motorcycles were reported stolen in 2011, compared with 49,791 in 2010.

The decrease in thefts came as sales were slightly up. Sales increased to 440,899 motorbikes in 2011 from 439,678 in 2010, according to the Motorcycle Industry Council.

The states with the most thefts:

• California, 5,927

• Texas, 3,950

• Florida, 3,927

• North Carolina, 2,466

• Indiana, 2,114

The most frequently stolen motorcycles:

• Honda, 11,014

• Yamaha, 8,880

• Suzuki, 7,281

• Kawasaki, 5,009

• Harley-Davidson, 3,120

Comment

• http://blogs.motorcyclistonline.com/...ite-28687.html

Trick or Treat? Honda Launches CB1100 Site

Honda has just launched a section on its worldwide site dedicated to the new retro-styled CB1100—a bike we reported on in the October issue [CB1100 - Up To Speed], and that we desperately hope the company brings here. The site doesn’t suggest that we’ll actually get this air-cooled beauty, and American Honda reps continue their no-tell stance. But we can dream.

The site includes a brief look back at the early CB series that propelled Honda into a big player in the industry. Some of the styling features of the new 1100 can be easily traced back to the CB750 of the late 60s and 70s. The overview section covers some of these styling features between the old and new.

For those who like the numbers, there is a page covering engine details and another covering the chassis, suspension and brakes. A separate specs chart is also available for viewing along with a small photo gallery. For more details visit the CB1100 site.

http://world.honda.com/CB1100/index.html

Comment

• http://www.livemint.com/Companies/fK...a-by-2020.html

Honda eyes 10 million capacity in India by 2020

New Delhi: Honda Motorcycles and Scooters India, a unit of Japan’s Honda Motor Co. Ltd, may build four-five new factories to make 10 million units every year by 2020, hoping to become the nation’s largest two-wheeler maker.
                                “Our dream is to have an installed capacity of 10 million by 2019-20, but it will be subject to external conditions,” said Y.S. Guleria, vice-president, sales and marketing. “We will need at least four-five new plants to reach there.”
                                The new plants could take the total number of facilities in the country to as many as eight.
                                Mint had reported in November 2011 about Honda’s ambitions of becoming the leader in the country by having a manufacturing capacity of at least 10 million units.
                                The report said the company is already in exploratory talks with the Gujarat and Uttarakhand governments for setting up the plants over the next three-four years.
                                Although two-wheeler sales have slowed this fiscal, the local market is still expected to grow at an average annual growth rate of 14% till 2020, according to the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers. At this rate, the market is expected to double every four years. In the six months ended 30 September, two-wheeler sales rose 3.12% to 6.78 million. That compares with the 14.2% growth in the last fiscal.
                                Honda India’s market share in the first seven months of this fiscal to October stands at 19.3%. Parent Honda Motor exited its two-wheeler joint venture with the Hero Group in December 2010 to focus on its fully-owned Indian unit.
                                Honda India already has two factories in Gurgaon, and Tapukara in Rajasthan, with an annual capacity of 2.8 million units. It is building a third facility in Narsapuram in Karnataka, which will add 1.2 million to its capacity in 2013.
                                In the coming years, manufacturers will look to have plants across the country in order to save costs, said Deepesh Rathore, managing director, IHS Automotive, a research firm.
                                “Two-wheeler business is going to get more and more competitive and companies would like to improve margins. In order to do that, they will have plants across the country to save logistics cost,” said Rathore. “Having said that, I believe this kind of capacity ramp up may lead to some idle capacity as well. So we might as well see some huge focus on exports from these companies.”
                                Honda will also set up a technical centre at its Manesar facility that will help it make affordable products and increase localization of parts.
                                The company will invest around Rs.150 crore and hire 200 people for the centre, to which it will shift the two-wheeler segment of Honda Research and Development India.
                                Of the 200 people, 50% will be from Honda India and the rest will be from the parent, the company said.
                                “With this centre, we will focus on India users with more concentration on local market. We will be modifying our existing products as well as develop from the scratch,” said Keita Muramatsu, president and chief executive, Honda India.

Comment

Working...
                                X