Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ca am avut recent pentru o zi pe mana una: TSX-ul 2.4 e o masina placut de condus, comfortabila, bine lucrata si dotata. trenul motor este responsiv desi relativ submotorizat ( asta relativ la competitie care in marja de pret e A3 2.0T si mai putin BMW 128i; desi tehnic TSX e pe platforma medie iar celelalte sunt compacte). evident are ca avantaj spatiul fata de cele 2 dar in rest sunt putine lucruri care sa convinga. varianta V6 compenseaza ca muschi dar are mai putin sens atata vreme cat e foarte aproape de TL ca pret...
    ex Civic mk.7 EX sedan 2002, 1.7VTEC
    ex Acura TL 2006, 3.2 V6 SOHC VTEC
    Civic Si sedan 2007, 2.0 DOHC iVTEC
    Acura MDX 2011, 3.7 V6 SOHC VTEC

Comment

• TSX A-Spec on stage at Montreal show:

http://www.autos.ca/general-news/acu...-montreal-show

http://www.autos.ca/general-news/acu...tion-tl-a-spec
      Iubesc masinile japoneze. Ele nu mint, nu inseala !
      ACURA & HONDA SUV FAN CLUB ROMANIA - http://daimyo.ro/index.php?action=forum

Comment

• 2012 Acura TSX: A well-finished drive:

http://www.examiner.com/automotive-i...d-drive-review

Acura is Honda’s upper division, and the TSX sedan has been available in the U.S. since 2004.
        So what does the five passenger four-door 2012 Acura TSX sedan have to offer?
        The engine is a 2.4-liter four-cylinder providing 201 hp and 170 ft. lb. of torque. An optional 3.5-liter V6 is available providing 280 hp and 254 ft. lb. of torque. The transmission is a six-speed manual or a five-speed automatic with manual shift paddles on the steering wheel. The car’s 0-60 mph time with the 2.4-liter engine is in 7.7 seconds.
        On the exterior the TSX’s windshield is well raked. At the front the car has a highly futuristic look with long slit headlights. Additionally, the grille is also thin (slit like) with much chrome at the top. The car’s most conventional front feature is the large lower air intake flanked by driving/fog lights at the corners.
        The TSX’s side profile is wedge shaped and looks solid. It includes cut lines at mid door and at the door handles with chrome outlining the windows.

The rear includes a high trunk, well defined lines and sleek well integrated taillights. Lower dual chrome exhaust pipes complete the look. The wheelbase of this Acura measures 106.6 inches and the trunk volume measures 14 cubic feet.
        The interior of the TSX provides an upscale driving environment. The leather seats are comfortable and supportive. The controls are logically positioned and work with precision. The rear leg room is adequate and the 60/40 split seat folds down.
        The brakes are discs at each corner measuring 11.8 inches at the front (vented) and 11.1 inches at the rear (solid). The TSX’s 60-0 mph stopping distance is in 120 feet. The tires measure 225 50 17 inch. 18 inch tires are also available.
        The suspension at the front includes double wishbones, coils springs, gas shock absorbers and a stabilizer bar. At the back it has multi-links, coil springs, gas shock absorbers and a stabilizer bar.
        Standard features on the TSX include leather, air conditioning with dual-zone automatic controls, interior air filter, tilt and telescoping leather-wrapped steering wheel with transmission, cruise and audio controls, 8-way power and heated driver’s seat and 4-way power and heated passenger seat, heated power mirrors, power steering, windows, door locks and sun roof, remote keyless entry, universal remote transmitter (for garage door, security system, etc.), 12 volt power outlet, rear ventilation ducts with fan control, AM/FM/CD/MP3 with seven speakers, digital media connection and USB port, XM Satellite radio, wireless cell phone link, Bluetooth wireless data link for hands free phone, outside temperature indicator, variable/intermittent wipers, rear defogger and more.
        Safety features on the TSX include ABS brakes, electronic brake force distribution, traction and stability control, driver and passenger air bags, front side air bags, side curtain air bags, child seat anchors, rear door child safety locks, daytime running lights, tire pressure monitoring and more.
        On the road the Acura TSX provides a well planted drive with responsive and nimble handling. The driver really feels connected to the road as the steering provides good response and feedback. The ride is taunt but smooth and refined. The four-cylinder engine is smooth and high revving. The TSX is fun to drive on twisty back roads and it is comfortable and quiet to drive on the highway.
        The fuel rating of the TSX is 22 city and 31 mpg highway.
        The 2012 Acura TSX price starts at $29,810. This is somewhat expensive, however, the TSX is a well-finished entry-level luxury/driver’s car. It is worth your test drive to measure other cars you might be considering.
        View the slideshow to see the 2012 Acura TSX inside and out!

Comment

• Long Term 2011 Acura TSX Sport Wagon Update 7

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...agon_update_7/

I'm in month 8 of my ownership experience and thus far it's been a satisfying experience. This month however, the purple wagon takes a detour into the carpool zone, compliments of Ed Sanchez, Motor Trend's news director.

Sanchez was interested in using it to commute from Orange County to Los Angeles county and needed a suitable ride to get him and his carpooling coworkers to and from MT HQ, so I loaned him my ride for a week for some adventure and this is what he came back with.

This clever hatchback seems like a wagon enthusiast's dream come true, especially in a market where so few manufactures are willing to bring over their Euro-market 'estates.' Many of my fellow staffers have gushed with praise for Acura's entry-level hauler, and as an unabashed fan of wagons and hatches, I was prepared to heap more praise on the pile. But after living with it and driving it for more than a week, I'm not quite as bowled over by Acura's front- drive wagon.

Though the car is not underpowered, a few more horses sure would enhance the chassis' robust capabilities but, regardless, it's nice to see that Acura continues to strive for refinement in their engines sounds. I found the four-cylinder engine surprisingly vocal; the four cylinder makes lots of precise, mechanical noises that will delight most.

Small nitpicks that hopefully Acura will address soon: No push button start, and turn signals that don't auto blink three times when tapped. All luxury items that most of its competitive set offer as standard. For the reason one usually buys a wagon -- utility and people hauling -- the TSX proves to be a compelling carpooler. Some recent jaunts up and down Southern California's 405 freeway provided lots of feedback from backseat passengers. While all agreed the seats themselves were comfortable, and even after a courtesy scoot-up of the drive the seat, I had a few backseaters say that kneeroom was too snug. Even so, I wish not for the wagon to be bigger, the size is just right. Rather, maybe Acura can carve out another inch of knee room on their next upgrade to this Euro Accord platform. Much appreciated are the car's lack of blind spots. Changing lanes can be done in confidence with minimum interference from the A- and B-pillars, and it's easy to see everything in front, to the side, and behind.

But ultimately, for those attracted to its understated, Euro-flavored proportions and style, the TSX wagon does reward the driver with razor-sharp firm steering and handling responses, and a generally lively and sporting driving experience. Less-diplomatic passengers described the ride as harsh or choppy but those with an enthusiastic bent will probably feel it's just right. Add to all this the car's ability to swiftly change gears with its steering wheel mounted paddles and without a doubt Acura has a unique product on hand, one flush with an athletic soul, yet happy to run as a shuttle day in and out.

So there you have it, the Acura TSX wagon proves to be a suitable sled for the freeway madness that is SoCal, plus it shall not shy away from a chance to run free in the nearby mountains. Mr. Sanchez's suggestion to me? Put some of Mugen coilovers in it, and then go rip up Temescal Canyon. Might just do that....

Our Car:

Months/miles in service 8/19,692 mile
          Avg econ/CO2 25.3 mpg/0.77 lb/mi
          Energy cons 133 kW-hr/100 mi
          Unresolved problems None
          Maintenance cost $224.16
          Normal-wear cost $0

Comment

• Test Drive: 2012 Acura TSX V6-Tech

http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/...CanadianDriver

To the target market for a sport sedan – as in, those buying it for the sport it promises – nailing the basics is arguably the most important thing to focus on. Stick a nice motor under the hood, tune the chassis for entertaining handling and sit the driver in a supportive seat.

Acura got most of that stuff right in the TSX, and I’ll elaborate shortly. First, though, what’s most striking about this car is what it doesn’t offer. To wit: no intelligent keyless access; no one-touch turn signals; no all-wheel drive option; and the optional automatic transmission remains a five-speed.

The TSX arrived in 2004 as a dressed-up version of the Honda Accord sold in Europe and other overseas markets. This is a much smaller car than the Accord that Honda builds for North America, being sized and priced to compete with a fleet of sport sedans that includes the BMW 3 Series, Audi A4, Infiniti G and Cadillac CTS. A redesigned, second-generation TSX came in 2009, and continued to make do with naught but a 2.4-litre, four-cylinder engine for horsepower until the addition of a 3.5-litre V6 option in 2010.

Here we are in 2012, with another drive of a car that shows, in some ways, that Honda knows exactly how to build a good sport sedan, and in others, seems totally clueless.

That Honda waited until 2010 to offer a V6 option in this car is a head-shaker, considering the company it runs with. This engine, the same one used across the Honda and Acura ranges, is a good one. It runs smoothly no matter how much of its 280 hp and 252 lb.-ft. of torque it’s being asked to deliver, and provides a decent soundtrack when working hard. But it always seemed to me that what this car really wanted was the peaky turbocharged four-cylinder that wound up in the little RDX crossover, a motor that would have turned the TSX into a more playful car; instead, the V6 makes it feel just a little too grown up.

Contributing to that grown-up notion is the five-speed automatic transmission that comes bundled with the V6. This isn’t the smoothest gearbox in the world, but the small amount of “shift shock” that accompanies gear changes provides some mechanical interest, especially when the steering wheel-mounted shift paddles are used for manual control. I’m of the opinion that there is such a thing as too many gears (BMW’s eight-speed works well, but with that many ratios, it seems like it’s always shifting), so while this Honda five-speed is one, two or three gears behind the times (depending on what it’s being compared to; I think a six-speed automatic is ideal in most cars), it’s well-matched to the engine, whose torque helps offset the large gaps between the ratios.

Natural Resources Canada’s Office of Energy Efficiency estimates the TSX’s fuel consumption at 10.7 L/100 km (city) and 7.0 L/100 km (highway) when powered by the V6 (a four-cylinder/automatic version is the most efficient, at 9.3/6.2 L/100 km). My tester averaged 10.5 L/100 km in city driving that included a handful of crosstown freeway jaunts. That result is notable, too, as my right foot got along well with the deeper reaches of this car’s gas pedal.

Whether a sport sedan works as such depends mightily on its suspension tuning. The TSX is not head-of-the-class for handling or steering feel, but it does have what I consider the best ride comfort of any wannabe-sporty car I’ve tested in a long time. This is a car that works best at seven-tenths, street-legal driving.

The TSX’s interior environment is typical of a modern Honda product, in lacking the smart-and-simple dashboard layouts the company used to be known for. Still, this centre stack is lighter on buttons than other Acura models and is pretty easy to get used to within a day or so behind the wheel. Kudos to Acura for sticking with toggle switches for the heated front seats that, for one thing, can be left in the ‘on’ position for the next cold start. I fail to understand Japanese cars’ hesitancy in adopting one-touch, three-flash turn signals. This handy feature – you don’t realize just how much so till you’ve used it – originated in higher-end European cars but has migrated to really basic cars like Kia Rios and Hyundai Accents and Chevrolet Sonics. Honda, Nissan, Toyota, I ask you, where’s the beef?

The front seats are supportive and well-bolstered and seemingly perfectly tailored to my small frame. Wider riders will find themselves sitting on the bolsters instead of between them. Climb into the back seat and you discover why Honda doesn’t simply import this car to sell as the North American Accord as well. This is by no means a tiny space, but bigger-is-better North American tastes dictate something larger for the mainstream market. Nonetheless, only tall-in-the-torso passengers will find their crania getting close to the headliner.

The 400-litre trunk is oddly shaped, as is the case in most of the TSX’s Japanese competitors. (I still contend that German sedan trunks are a model of cargo-carrying ability that should be the envy of the world.) The rear seats fold, not quite flat, to open up a so-so-sized pass-through into the passenger compartment.

TSX pricing starts at $31,890 for the base model, which comes with powered front seats, 17-inch alloy wheels, Bluetooth, fog lights and a sunroof. Six-cylinder power is only an option once you’ve anted up for the Technology Package of six-CD changer, back-up camera, navigation and 60-GB hard drive; as such, my tester carried a price-tag of $41,890 before freight and taxes.

That’s a solid price for what this car can do and comes with, but you can spend a little more money to get the kind of features we’ve been taught to expect in this class of car. An Infiniti G37x costs $2,500 more and includes two key items – all-wheel drive and ‘intelligent’ keyless entry with pushbutton start – that have practically become de rigueur – at least as options – in entry-level luxury sedans. Many of the items conspicuous here by their absence are becoming desirable even among economy car shoppers.

Taken on its own, the TSX is a very nice car and would probably make great sense if it had some more personality – say, a snarkier exhaust note or that turbocharged engine. As it stands, though, this is an average luxury sport sedan notable mostly for the luxury car features it doesn’t have.

Pricing: 2012 Acura TSX

Base price: $31,890
            Options: $10,000 (V6-Tech Package)
            A/C tax: $100
            Freight: $1,895
            Price as tested: $43,885

Comment

• Short test: 2012 Acura TSX

http://www.directshift.com/wordpress...irect+Shift%29

Vehicle: 2012 Acura TSX Premium
              Price as tested: CDN$36885

Just how much do we love the original TSX? We voted the original TSX as the “sports sedan of the year below $35k” in 2004 while its larger silibing TL took the above $35k honor in the same year.

2012 has signalled as the final year for this European Accord. The 2013 ILX will be replacing the much-loved TSX as an entry-level luxury sports sedan in Acura’s new product portfolio.

TSX has always been judged as one of the most composed and balanced sports sedan we have ever driven. While the American Accord is designed for wide sketches of Interstates, European Accord is engineered for having fun on black-top twisites. The same kind of roads which made German sports sedans great. With the TSX, it beckons for more while you are having fun at twisities or or a local race track. Its track breed nature is what driven TSX as a great driver’s car. The superbly weighted steering which provide wonderful feel and feedback. Body motions are well-controlled with understeer is almost non-existence. You won’t find any better suspension calibrations anywhere else other than an European-breed TSX.

With 201 ponies powered underneath the hood, Acura’s refined 2.4 liter provides world-class refinement and flexability. What makes Honda 4-cylinder such a beauty, is its uncanny abilities of producing high-revving motor which are both reliable and dependable in the long haul. Try that in a BMW? You probably have to go back to your “prestigous” BMW service department million times during warranty. 172 lb/ft definitely not much by class standard. However, it manages to produce enough flexability and trackability on daily driving. If this 4-cylinder is not enough for you. Acura offers a TSX V6 which provide 280hp and 252 lb/ft of torque. However, the paybacks are more front-heaviness and slightly softer handling compares to hard-edged 4-cylinder counterparts. The 5-speed manumatic offers nice gear ratios, although having one more gear woud do wonders to both of these powertrain’s sweetness through the rev range.

The materials used inside TSX have been very nice. It got what you expect from an Acura. If there is one dislike, however, is there are too many buttons around the center stark right onto the multi-function steering wheel.

What a great farewell to one of our all-time favourite sports sedans. Along with great execution, top-notch reliability and world-class reputation; TSX has served Acura exceptionally well over the years. ILX will have a toughjob ahead on filling the void left by TSX, a job which certainly not an easy task, by any standards.

Sharp handling
              Sublime ride quality
              Refinement

Dislikes:
              Beak grille
              Too many buttons on the center stark
              5-speed manumatic

Competitions:

Audi A4
              BMW 3-Series
              Mercedes C-Class
              Lexus IS250
              Infiniti G25

Comment

• http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/...CanadianDriver

Test Drive: 2012 Acura TSX Tech Package

"Less is more” is one of those overused phrases loosely applied to just about anything to help someone lazily prove a point. It is right up there with “think outside the box,” “git ‘er done” and “my two cents.” But, in the case of the TSX, try as I may, I can’t think of any better phrase to sum up the TSX other than “less is more.” With the less-powerful, less-expensive four-cylinder engine, the TSX is the more engaging vehicle to drive. Save a few more hard-earned dollars by opting for the manual transmission and driver pleasure increases exponentially. To be truthful, that last comment is pure speculation based on the previous generation TSX as I have yet to test the latest six-speed manual TSX.

Instead, the test vehicle featured here is the 2012 Acura TSX Tech Package equipped with Acura’s fabulous 2.4-litre 201 hp 4-cylinder engine paired with a five-speed automatic transmission. Chris Chase reviewed an almost-identical TSX Tech Package a few weeks ago, though equipped with the 3.5-litre V6 engine, so I will skim the back history and option listing of this vehicle and focus more on day-to-day driving impressions and usability.

Over the past three decades, Acura has established itself as maker of sporty, great-handling front-wheel-drive vehicles. Along with the base versions of the TL, the TSX is left carrying the FWD torch for Acura until the new ILX bows next year. Many question how Acura can remain a player in this segment when most of its competition offer rear- or all-wheel drive in their mid-size luxury offerings. The reason is simple: Acura makes it work. I am not a huge fan of FWD vehicles and am not going to pretend that this vehicle can race around a track with a proper RWD sports car. However, for a car whose front wheels are burdened with both driving and steering duties, it simply holds on in corners with surprising poise.

For the most part, the TSX offers a smooth, compliant ride that only hints at its true capabilities. Push the car hard into some sweeping bends, though, and it really comes alive. The more you load up the suspension, the more responsive it becomes; very reminiscent of the Mazda RX-8′s dual-suspension personality. Fact is, the TSX grips through tight bends like no mid-size FWD sedan should. It may just be the perfect vehicle for all the teenagers who grew up on Acura Integras and RSXs and now want something a little more refined and practical without giving up what made them love their former Acuras.

Speaking of grip, it is a sure sign summer is just around the corner as the TSX was the first vehicle in 2012 I tested with all-season tires; hallelujah! The 17-inch rims wrapped in 225/50R17 tires didn’t exude any wow-factor style-wise, but did tie in nicely with TSX’s overall understated look (grille notwithstanding). Okay, now that the elephant in the room has been brought up, let’s deal with it. The grille on the TSX still looks like a beak, and still needs to go. However, it is one of the more understated applications of this corporate grille in the Acura lineup.

Inside, the theme of understated elegance continues. The interior materials are first class and the leather on steering wheel is very soft to the touch. The center menu knob on the stereo sticks out and looks a bit out of place, but is practical and easy to use. The Honda Accord EX-L uses a similar, yet less obtrusive centre knob that this Acura could benefit from. As can be expected for a mid-size vehicle, rear seat room is spacious and I could easily sit my six-foot-one-inch frame behind the driver’s seat adjusted to my driving position. Trunk space is an equally impressive 396 L.

As mentioned earlier, our TSX came equipped with the Tech package. Highlights of this trim level include HID headlights, navigation system with tri-lingual voice recognition, rear camera, Acura/ELS Surround 10-speaker 415W sound system, Dolby Pro Logic II and hard disk drive (HDD) storage (navigation & audio). The sound from the stereo is clear and powerful. A nice feature is the ability to customize the amount of sound emanating from any speaker including the center unit and sub-woofer. One wish for the audio system would be to remove the need to go back to the audio menu to change between preset station lists. However, this may just be a programmable feature we couldn’t figure out.

What we had no issue figuring out just how good the 2.4-litre four-cylinder VTEC powerplant is. Making a modest 201 hp and 170 ft-lb, the engine’s power is immediate and makes you forget it is a naturally-aspirated four-cylinder. In fact, one V6 ambassador who took the TSX for a drive commented that the four-pot engine is “so smooth and rev-happy, I don’t know why someone would pay more for the thirstier V6.” Even matched to a seemingly outdated five-speed automatic transmission, the engine delivered impressive grunt with a subdued shriek once in its higher rpms with VTEC fully engaged. But VTEC can only do so much, and at highway speeds the engine begins to run out of breath.

The steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters hooked up to the five-speed automatic are surprisingly responsive for a regular automatic slushbox — second only to BMW’s amazing eight-speed automatic paddle shifters. This is only the second vehicle equipped with paddle shifters not connected to a dual-clutch transmission that I drove “manually” the majority of the time. It really allows the driver to exploit the high-revving engine and increase fun tenfold. The beauty of this combination in the TSX is that the relatively low torque does not overwhelm the front wheels when cornering, like the stronger V6 can: simply turn into a corner and power out without having to constantly modulate the gas pedal in a traction ballet.

In case you hadn’t caught on yet, spirited driving was the norm during our week with the TSX, but the 1,587-kg vehicle still returned an impressive 9.2 L/100 km average over 500 km. For those keeping score, this Acura is officially rated at 9.3 L/100 km city and 6.2 L/100 km highway.

Since this vehicle will be considered by many safety-conscious consumers, possibly those with young families, Acura has stuffed the TSX with all the latest safety gear such as stability control, front/side/curtain airbags and its Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE) body structure.

Acura has tried hard to keep the TSX close to its 2004 roots despite its growth in size and weight. Poise, agility, and refinement are all still present and accounted for in this luxurious four-door sedan. Although the Tech Package TSX we tested was great, the price may seem a bit steep for potential customers in relation to some competitors. Stick with the simpler four-cylinder editions of this car and you will be rewarded with a great entry level luxury car that can take colleagues out for a business lunch or attack your favorite apexes on a Sunday afternoon.

Pricing: 2012 Acura TSX Tech Package

Base price: $37,990
                Options: None
                A/C tax: $100
                Freight: $1,895
                Price as tested: $39,885

Comment

• http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._term_verdict/

2011 Acura TSX Sport Wagon Long Term Verdict

Stylish Workhorse Heads Home

I still scratch my head in awe when I imagine the thought process that might have taken place at Honda's U.S. HQ when they green-lit the wagon variant of the steadfast Acura TSX sedan. Honda knew it had a unique product on its hands, one that produced solid sales in Europe as an Accord Wagon, yet it also knew that U.S. buyers would probably be few and far between. The wagon enthusiasts within Honda corporate won out, and U.S. wagon lovers can rejoice. The Acura TSX Wagon is even more important now that both the Volkswagen Passat wagon and the Mercedes C-Class wagon have pulled out of our domestic market.

2011 Acura TSX Wagon Rear End

We've watched the crossover segment grow and innovate with funky-shaped SUVs that at times sacrifice practical interior space for unique exterior styling (Honda's own Crosstour comes to mind), but the TSX is an honest-to-goodness straightforward wagon wrapped in a handsome package. It's a solid alternative to a mainstream, front-drive crossover-type SUV, one that offers lots of space, better fuel economy, and the solid luxury/technology experience Acura has been quietly honing for years.

Initially, some of us at Motor Trend were skeptical that the TSX's 2.4-liter inline-four would provide an engaging driving experience, but such notions fell to the wayside after a short amount of seat time. Though the car's 201 horsepower is far from class-leading, the precision-crafted Honda powerplant loves to rev fast and smoothly, and does so with an undeniable sense of refinement and gumption. The five-speed automatic, a gear short of its competitors', shines best when controlled via the steering wheel's paddles. As quickly as one's fingers move, the paddles do an impressive job of helping the transmission squeeze every last ounce of combusted energy from the pistons, and never leave you yearning for another gear. Yet at times I found myself charging the canyon roads, downshifting for more turn-tackling grunt, and having to cope with the chassis protesting the transmission's hard downshifts. Push it hard enough and those chassis kicks can be sufficiently abrupt to upset the direction of travel.

It's apparent the car's quick NAV processor, easy-to-use multi-directional control knob, and deep-set display screen are thoughtfully integrated into the driver interface systems, but, unfortunately, the Bluetooth phone pairing/syncing is not. Over and over again, the car would fail to pair or connect with the staff's iPhones and Droids. And even when it does work correctly, it typically requires additional buttons to be pushed before making the complete connection for hands-free use. Not only is this annoying, it can make for awkward conversation during the first 10 seconds of a call. The car's other Bluetooth feature, the wireless audio stream, works flawlessly. Once your music device is synced, you hit "play" and out of the 10 speakers come your selected tunes. And in the event all that Bluetoothing drains your phone's battery, Acura has provided a USB port under the center console for your charge cord.

2011 Acura TSX Wagon

Every chance we got, we made good use of this car's carry-all nature. Numerous IKEA, Target, and Costco trips were made, and, in fact, one weekend we even packed it to the gills with camping gear and took it high into the Sierras to Sequoia National Park. But beware: If too much heavy gear or a second row of passengers is added, the power-to-weight ratio increases to the point that you'll wish Acura had optioned its V-6 in this variant as in the sedan. Our time with the wagon included three visits to Acura's Santa Monica dealership. Those trips were painless, as it was always easy to book appointments with the courteous staff, who always worked hard to get the wagon in and out with little delay.

2011 Acura TSX Sport Wagon Rear View In Motion

After 12 months in our fleet, the TSX returned a fuel economy average of 25.2 mpg. This reflects its mostly city street commute loop, yet on the occasions when we cruised long stretches of highway, the car's mileage would crack 30 mpg, and the 18.5-gallon tank would allow a range of well over 500 miles. Aside from the normal scheduled maintenance, we had zero mechanical issues. Three oil changes, a cabin air filter, and an engine filter rang up a bill of about $530.The TSX is a bulletproof multi-tool in the form of a front-drive wagon. This one is quick and sporty, full of amenities, and always able to haul lots and lots of gear.

"The engine is always there for you, and always willing to spin hard to motivate the driveshaft. Downshift, rev it high, hold it there, and listen to the valves and cylinders make their very characteristic Honda wail." - Mike Shaffer

"As is typical with minivans and wagons, this one has a booming noise that sources from the car's rear cargo hold, and is most pronounced when driving over bumps or potholes. It's the type of noise that one can almost feel inside your eardrums. It's not painful, or overly distracting, but it's there, and isn't going anywhere." - Nate Martinez

"I love the grip, I love the turn-in, the bite, I love the urgency from just 2.4 liters, and I love that it's a station wagon." - Jonny Lieberman

"Keep the tranny in "S" (Sport mode) and shift with the paddles. But stay on your game, and know when to grab the next gear, otherwise the tach will slip right past the 7000 rpm redline and swing quickly into the fuel cutoff..." - Mike Shaffer

Our Car:

Months/miles in service 12/24,150
                  Avg econ/CO2 25.0 mpg/0.77 lb/mi
                  Energy cons 134 kW-hr/100 mi
                  Unresolved problems None
                  Maintenance cost $527.51 (3 x oil change, inspection, tire rotation)
                  Normal-wear cost $0

2011 Acura TSX
                  POWERTRAIN/CHASSIS

Drivetrain layout Front engine, FWD
                  Engine type I-4, aluminum block/heads
                  Valvetrain DOHC, 4 valves/cyl
                  Displacement 143.6 cu in/2354 cc
                  Compression ratio 11.0:1
                  Power (SAE net) 201 hp @ 7000 rpm
                  Torque (SAE net) 170 lb-ft @ 4300 rpm
                  Redline 7100 rpm
                  Weight to power 17.8 lb/hp
                  Transmission 5-speed automatic
                  Axle/final-drive ratios 4.44:1/2.51:1
                  Suspension, front; rear Control arms, coil springs, anti-roll bar; multilink, coil springs, anti-roll bar
                  Steering ratio 13.4:1
                  Turns lock-to-lock 2.5
                  Brakes, f;r 11.8-in vented disc; 11.1-in disc, ABS
                  Wheels 7.5 x 17-in, cast alum
                  Tires 225/50R17 93V Michelin Pilot MX MXM4 M+S

DIMENSIONS

Wheelbase 106.4 in
                  Track, f/r 62.2/62.2 in
                  Length x width x height 189.2 x 72.4 x 57.9 in
                  Turning circle 36.7 ft
                  Curb weight 3585 lb
                  Weight dist, f/r 57/43%
                  Seating capacity 5
                  Headroom, f/r 37.6/36.9 in
                  Legroom, f/r 42.4/34.3 in
                  Shoulder room, f/r 57.8/56.1 in
                  Cargo volume 60.5/25.8 cu ft

TEST DATA

Acceleration to mph
                  0-30 3.0 sec
                  0-40 4.3
                  0-50 6.2
                  0-60 8.2
                  0-70 10.7
                  0-80 14.3
                  0-90 18.3
                  Passing, 45-65 mph 4.2
                  Quarter mile 16.4 sec @ 85.3 mph
                  Braking, 60-0 mph 120 ft
                  Lateral acceleration 0.85 g (avg)
                  MT figure eight 28.0 sec @ 0.59 g (avg)
                  Top-gear revs @ 60 mph 2100 rpm

CONSUMER INFO

Stability/traction control Yes/yes
                  Airbags Dual front, front side, f/r curtain
                  Basic warranty 4 yrs/50,000 mi
                  Powertrain warranty 6 yrs/70,000 mi
                  Roadside assistance 4 yrs/50,000 mi
                  Fuel capacity 18.5 gal
                  EPA city/hwy econ 22/30 mpg
                  Energy cons, city/hwy 153/112 kW-hrs/100 mi
                  CO2 emissions 0.78 lb/mi
                  Recommended fuel Unleaded premium

Comment

• http://www.autobytel.com/acura/tsx/c...-guide-110681/

A Look Back At Acura's Entry Level Sedan

Acura TSX Used Car Buyer’s Guide: Introduction

Looking for a pre-owned luxury car, with cutting-edge technology, outstanding reliability, spirited performance and an innocuous appearance? Read on, because we have the perfect car for your needs. Acura’s TSX is Honda’s upscale subsidiary’s entry-level car in the United States. Based on the European Honda Accord, also sold in Japan, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand, the TSX is great at what it does, including being often overlooked.

A certain swath of the motoring public has taken to the TSX, but mainstream success eludes the car, positioned as it is to challenge the Infiniti G25, Lexus IS250, BMW 328i, Mercedes C300, Volvo S40, and Audi A4. And while all of those cars enjoy considerable notoriety the shrinking violet image of the TSX conscribes it pretty much to the also ran category when stacked up against those cars.

This is unfortunate, because the TSX has a lot going for it, as you’re about to learn. There have been two generations of the Acura TSX offered in the U.S. since the model debuted here in April of 2003, as a 2004 model.

Acura TSX Used Car Buyer’s Guide: 2004 – 2008

The first generation TSX debuted in the U.S. with a four-cylinder engine (strike one), a taut suspension system (strike two), and rather bland styling (strike three). And while it stepped onto the playing field with three strikes against it, the model still managed to find a loyal following.

That four-cylinder engine loved to wind, and when paired with a manual transmission, despite its front-drive powertrain configuration, was a lot of fun to drive. This was aided in no small measure by the taut, all independent suspension system. Comprised of a set of double wishbones up front and a multi-link rear setup, the system endowed the model with enthusiastic handling characteristics (if not exactly a comfortably luxurious ride). In other words, the Acura really did live up to its TSX acronym, which stands for Touring Sportscar eXperimental.

The 2004 Acura TSX debuted in one level of trim only, although there were differentiations made within that trim level, depending upon the equipment a particular TSX carried. Powered by a 200-horsepower, double overhead cam, 2.4-liter inline four-cylinder engine with variable valve timing, the TSX offered 166 ft-lbs of torque. The engine preferred premium unleaded fuel. A six-speed manual transmission was standard equipment for routing the engine’s output to the front wheels. A five-speed automatic transmission was available as well at no extra cost.

An entry-level luxury car, the TSX came rather comprehensively equipped. Every TSX rolled on a set of seventeen-inch alloy wheels, and benefitted from variably intermittent windshield wipers, a rear window defogger and a power-operated glass sunroof (aka a moonroof).

Heated, power adjustable sport seats for both the driver and passenger were upholstered in leather, while the rear seat back offered split-folding capability to pass-through into the trunk for added cargo capacity. The back seat also featured a center armrest with storage capability and ventilation ducts.

Remote power door locks, power mirrors, and a one touch power window for the driver were all included in the base price—as well as remote window operation. Cruise control, a front console with storage, cupholders front and rear, 12v DC power outlets, a leather wrapped tilt and telescoping steering wheel with switches for audio and cruise control, an inside remote trunk release, a universal remote transmitter (for garage doors, security gates and etc.), and front seatback storage added considerable convenience for both the driver and passengers.

Interior air was admitted through a filtration system, before being regulated by a dual zone automatic climate control system. In addition to the leather seating, the TSX enjoyed leather trim on the doors, center console and its shift knob. Ancillary lighting was provided in the trunk, there were also reading lights and illuminated vanity mirrors for the driver and the front passenger.

Front and rear floor mats were included in the base price, as were an electrochromatic rearview mirror and turn signal repeaters in the exterior rearview mirror housings. The audio system was a 360-watt, eight-speaker affair with a six-disc CD player and two subwoofers.

Safety equipment included all disc brakes with ABS, front and rear head airbags, child seat anchors, an alarm system, child safety locks on the rear doors, an engine immobilizer, Xenon headlights, a center three-point belt for the back seat, pretensioners for the front seatbelts, stability control, traction control, and electronic brakeforce distribution.

As we alluded earlier, there were different “designations” for the TSX depending upon its equipment. There was the Base model manual, the Base model manual with navigation, the base model automatic and the base model automatic with navigation. So while technically the automatic transmission and navigation system were options, because they could be bundled as “trim levels”, they weren’t options—exactly.

BTW, the navigation system was voice activated.

For its second year on the market, Acura’s product planners added satellite radio, heated exterior mirrors, a four-way power adjustable passenger seat, and illumination for the controls on the steering wheel.

Recalibrating the engine upped power output to 205 horsepower for 2006, an appearance update garnered slightly new front and rear fascia treatments, side skirts, fog lights, and restyled wheels. Inside, a Multi-information Display was added to the instrument panel, along with two-position memory for the driver's seat adjustments. The audio system got an auxiliary MP3 player input and Bluetooth-compatible HandsFreeLink for cellular phones. The navigation system was upgraded to compute more quickly and it also included access to a Zagat restaurant rating guide.

Tire pressure monitoring was added, and the autodimming rear-view mirror was improved.

With a revised model coming up, the 2008 Acura TSX was largely unchanged from the 2007 model. The good news is the car was so comprehensively equipped right off the top, there wasn’t a whole lot for Acura to do. The bad news is the car was so comprehensively equipped right of the top, Acura didn’t have much new to brag about either.

Acura TSX Used Car Buyer’s Guide: 2009 – Current (2012)

An all-new version of the TSX debuted at the 2008 New York Auto Show on April 11 of that year. Introduced as a 2009 model, the revised TSX was wider, longer and a bit heavier than the model it replaced. The 2009 TSX went on sale in July of 2008.

If you’ve read this article from the beginning we’re going to save you a lot of reading and say equipment-wise, the 2009 Acura TSX was exceedingly similar to the very impressively equipped 2008 model, which was basically the same as the 2004 model.

The big news—as far as change was concerned—was all-new styling and a new body structure designed to improve crashworthiness.

In response to the concerns from some quarters regarding the stiffnessof the TSX, the steering and suspension systems were recalibrated for the GEN2 TSX more toward the comfort end of the spectrum. This resulted in a more luxurious ride, but diminished sportiness.

Just as its predecessor, the 2009 Acura TSX featured leather seat upholstery, dual-zone climate control, a power driver's seat with memory, a sunroof, and Xenon headlights. However, a USB port music interface was added to the audio system. The 2009 TSX also offered an optional technology package, which included a rear-view camera, a voice-activated navigation system with real-time traffic and weather, and a 10-speaker premium surround sound system with DVD-audio capabilities designed by Grammy Award-winning record producer and audio engineer Elliot Scheiner.

The Acura’s 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine produced 201 horsepower and 170 ft-lbs of torque with the five-speed automatic transmission. If buyers opted for the manual transmission, they got another two ft-lbs to work with. Both transmissions cost the same, so it was basically buyer’s choice. The automatic also featured a manual shift mode via paddles on the steering wheel.

The TSX got V6 power for the first time in its history. The 280-horsepower, 3.5-liter engine produced 254 ft-lbs of torque. The transmission choice was the five-speed automatic with paddle shifters. The product planning team prescribed a set of eighteen-inch alloys to go with the V6 engine and a slightly firmer suspension calibration. Additionally, the steering was tweaked to provide the impression of more weight through the wheel. If you’re looking for the “sporty” GEN2 TSX, this is the one.

The navigation system was swapped out for a hard-drive based unit and the TSX Sport Wagon debuted.

And, yeah, we buried the lead…

The Sport Wagon was actually introduced in 2010 at the New York Auto Show. Equipped largely the same as the sedan, other than its optional powered rear liftgate, mechanically it had to make do with the 2.4 liter four-cylinder engine and the five-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters.

Acura TSX Used Car Buyer’s Guide: Current Model (2012)

The 2012 Acura TSX Special Edition Package fitted to the four-cylinder sedan, bundles a more aggressive front spoiler, a new rear bumper fascia, unique side sills and an exclusive “Special Edition” badge on the trunklid. In addition, the Special Edition TSX’s seventeen-inch, five-spoke aluminum wheels feature a polished finish with dark grey background.

Inside, the TSX Special Edition uses perforated black Lux Suede (faux-suede) inserts with red backing. Red stitching on the seats, steering wheel, and shift knob compliment red lighting for the instrument cluster gauges, overhead lighting, and footwell lighting.

Aluminum pedal covers and bright silver-plating for the steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters contrast with the black headliner material (standard TSX models use grey headliner material).

In other TSX news for 2012, in an effort to free up under-floor cargo space, Acura’s planners deleted the spare tire from the Sport Wagon and replaced it with a tire repair kit.

Acura TSX Used Car Buyer’s Guide: Summary

As entry-level luxury sport sedans go, the Acura TSX has a lot going for it. An abundance of tech, engaging driving dynamics, an outstanding array of standard features and the legendary reliability for which its Honda parent is quite justifiably renowned, are all compelling reasons to shop for a pre-owned TSX.

Were we considering the purchase of one, given our proclivities toward enthusiastic driving, we’d focus our search on the last two years of the first generation car. That way, we’d get the engaging driving dynamics, as well as the benefit of the majority of the tech fitted to the second generation car. Those of you who prefer a more comfortable and luxurious ride quality over spirited handling, might want to do the opposite, and focus your search on an early version of the second generation car.

Regardless of your choice, you should be in petty good shape, as the cars have a well-deserved reputation for bulletproof operation. Still, you’ll want to run a vehicle history report against the VIN of any car you’re considering. You’ll also want to do an Internet search for recall information, though the TSX hasn’t been subjected to many. Finally, you’ll want to have a trusted professional mechanic perform a pre-purchase inspection, just to make sure you’re getting a sound example of the entry-level Acura.

Comment

• http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...IEWS/120629809

2012 Acura TSX Special Edition: Review notes
                      Your search for the best manual transmission ends here

DIGITAL EDITOR ANDREW STOY: What an outstanding engine and gearbox combo—there could be a decade-old chassis on top of it (and come to think of it, there might be), and the powertrain alone would make the 2012 Acura TSX a strong contender in the near-luxury sports-sedan market. I'm not prone to gushing, but the six-speed manual in this Acura is hands-down the best stick shift I've driven in years. Combined with the smooth, zingy four-cylinder engine, the TSX is an example of the mechanical mastery of which Honda is capable when it tries.

Fortunately, the rest of the car is pretty damn good, too. Chassis: rock solid and stable, with beautiful, linear steering and outstanding brake-pedal feel. The interior is attractive and functional, in the Americanized Japanese luxury idiom. In other words, you're not going to mistake the TSX cockpit for that of a Jaguar, but everything is where you'd expect it to be and it all works well. My one gripe, especially at this price point, is the lack of a rearview camera, a feature I can get in a Kia Rio.

So, at $31,000 and change, where does the Acura TSX fit in the market? It costs thousands less than a similar Audi A4 or BMW 3-series (perhaps not on the Web configurators, but up against the ones you'd find on dealer lots), but it feels a couple grand less upscale, too. The Ford Fusion Sport, or possibly the Infiniti G25, then? Both cars have very different driving dynamics than the Acura, and it's unlikely that a buyer attracted to one would also be attracted to the other.

In the end, the Acura TSX appeals mainly to buyers with fond, positive memories of what the brand stood for in the past, or those who truly love Honda cars but want something a bit more upscale. Why the TSX can't just become the Legend (yes, I realize it's more at the Vigor size/price point) and its baby brother ILX the Integra is beyond me. But name recognition might give some folks a reason to walk into an Acura dealer and discover this great sedan.

ROAD TEST EDITOR JONATHAN WONG: If I was in the market for an everyday driver, I would end up with an Acura TSX with the four-cylinder and the six-speed manual transmission. The unfortunate thing is that you can't get the six-speed manual with the Technology package anymore. If you want your TSX with three pedals, you need to go with a Special Edition model.

There are some trick features to the Special Edition model, such as the more aggressive fascias, side sills and rims with gunmetal-paint spoke insets. On the inside, you get suede seat inserts that help keep you in place during corning, red stitching on the seats and steering-wheel and aluminum pedals.

I've gone on record countless times with my admiration for this K24 engine. It's been around for a while, but I still think it's the smoothest four-cylinder on the market. There's a 7,000-rpm redline to work with, and it happily dances up at the top end of the rev range all day long, which is required because peak power is made at 7,000 rpm. As for the six-speed manual, it's my favorite manual transmission available, with short, fluid shifts. If there is a better manual gearbox out there, I haven't found it yet. Clutch take-up is in the middle of the pedal stroke, which is just the way I like it.

Being a front-wheel driver the TSX will understeer, but the limited-slip differential is there to help. The car responds well to being thrown around hard and you can carry a lot of speed through bends. One thing that some will people will have to get used to is the hyperactive steering response, which I like a lot. It's so quick to respond that it will most likely catch you off guard at first, but it sure makes placing the car where you want it quite easy.

The ride is smooth and the suspension offers good damping to absorb most bumps. When running down the expressway, the cabin stays quiet and mostly free from wind noise and tire noise. I also moved a couple of long items that required putting the rear seats down, and the large pass-through from the trunk into rear cabin is wide.

The most common complaint about the TSX is the button-laden center stack, which I understand. Personally, I'll take hard buttons over some iDrive-type system any day. Buttons are easier to get acclimated to, in my opinion.

Another real-world argument is my observed mileage. One of my fill-ups yielded an average of 25.6 mpg and the other was 26.0 mpg. That's on mixed driving, and I can assure you that I was keeping the revs up there, so those readings are pretty darn good.

ASSOCIATE EDITOR JAKE LINGEMAN: I agree with Andy and Jon's notes above. The six-speed in the 2012 Acura TSX is one of the top three in the market, if not No. 1. A few that are close are the Mazda RX-8 (which is technically done, but it wouldn't shock me if there was a new one still sitting at a Mazda dealership somewhere), the Ford Mustang Shelby GT500, and that's about it.

When Acura changed the body style of the TSX a few years ago, I think it lost some buyers. Now the company is slowly ditching the beak/shield look for something a little more restrained. This one in particular looks great in fire-engine red.

The TSX has the right proportions, the wheel selection fits and it has just enough room to compete with small luxury sedans such as the Audi A4 and the BMW 3-series, especially the new 3-series with the four-cylinder engine. But the TSX can be had for less than those guys. Anyone shopping for one of the Germans should take quick look at Japan.

There's good power from the 2.4-liter engine, and when you're really getting on it, it has a throaty sound from the exhaust. The fact that Jon got 25 mpg makes it even sweeter.

Acura interiors used to appear busy. Now that everyone else has caught up, there's no more intimidation factor with all of those buttons on the dash. I like the dual-material seats, cloth and leather. I might even prefer it to full leather. The cloth seems to hold my rear end better around turns. One of the few dislikes of our long-term Subaru Impreza WRX STI was the slippery seats that couldn't keep me stationary.

All of the important options are included on the Special Edition. If you need more than power seats, windows and locks, a sunroof and an iPod connection, you might have to upgrade to the V6. Unfortunately, it has no manual option. That would be taking away the best part of the car.

2012 Acura TSX Special Edition

Base Price: $31,695

As-Tested Price: $31,695

Drivetrain: 2.4-liter I4; FWD, six-speed manual

Output: 201 hp @ 7,000 rpm, 172 lb-ft @ 4,300 rpm

Curb Weight: 3,400 lb

Fuel Economy (EPA/AW): 24/25.8 mpg

Options: None

For more information: Check out the 2012 Acura TSX Special Edition at shopautoweek.com.

Comment

Working...
                      X