X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acura TL has a grip on high-performance motoring

http://www.bclocalnews.com/okanagan_.../88434697.html

What’s s in a name?

The Acura brand debuted in North America in 1986 as the “second channel” or luxury/performance brand from Honda.
    It was a masterstroke. Suddenly the little solid and stolid Civic that people had come to love as youngsters was offering Honda reliability with luxury to the same people who were starting to make their way in life.
    It wasn’t long before Toyota with Lexus and Nissan with Infiniti jumped in hoping to cash in on the success of Acura.
    With the Legend sedan and Integra sporty coupe, Acura hit the ground running and people were fighting to get their hands on an Acura.
    And then something funny happened. Even though Acura had huge equity in the Legend and Integra, the Legend somehow became the larger 3.5RL and the Legend name was abandoned.
    To fill the slot left by the Legend, there was briefly the Vigor but that was dropped as Acura went alphanumeric across the board with the 3.2 TL and (if memory serves) 2.7 TL.

A former Honda/Acura executive once told me that this was done so that when people asked an owner what kind of model he/she was driving, instead of spouting numbers and letters, with simpler to say “Acura” which also served to tout the brand name like saying Audi or Mercedes.
    Today the numbers and names are gone but the letters remain with today’s Acura model lineup denoted as RDX, MDX, RL, CSX and the TL as tested here.
    Lets look as this week’s tester the 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD (Super Handling All-Wheel-Drive) and that’s a mouthful if there ever was one.
    With a superb engine and incredible AWD system that rivals anything on the market today, I wish this sedan had a name that makes a statement.
    With Honda/Acura’s association with IndyCar racing, I’d love to see a model called the Acura Indy Legend. But alas, I dream.
    And to not confuse you more, there are two versions of the TL. There is the base car with front-wheel-drive and a 3.5-litre V6 (280 hp, 254 lb/ft) and this week’s tester TL with SH-AWD that gets a bigger 3.7-litre V6 (305 hp, 273 lb/ft) that is the most powerful unit Acura makes.
    The SH-AWD system on the 2010 Acura goes a generation or two beyond simple AWD as we know it. It is one of the very few, Audi’s quattro driver select being another, that makes it possible to take advantage of what is called “torque vectoring”, a catchall phrase that barely describes how the system works.

Honda needs no lessons on how to build engines. It is, in fact, the largest maker of gasoline engines in the world.
    The 3.7-litre unit in the TL is big for a V6 because the centrifugal force of the revolving mass of the internals has to be finely balanced.
    One of the ways this is done is with (get ready for another tongue twister) Variable Valve Tuning and Lift Electronic Control. Off the line, a lower valve lift time and shorter camshaft profile combine for faster combustion thus more torque. As speed levels off, the valves lift higher resulting in a longer opening for the air/fuel mix meaning a greater charge in the chamber for more power.
    But leading-edge engine mapping makes sure the right amount of fuel is available for reasonable gas mileage, in this case 12.3/8.1L/100 km city/highway with the standard five-speed automatic or 11.9/8.0L/100 km city/highway in the six-speed manual transmission option that is available for the first time on the TL.

Although it was available on other Acura models, the SH-AWD system in the TL is the most aggressive and responsive.
    From launch, the system can direct up to 60 per cent of torque to the rear wheels, but in normal driving, grip is neutral.
    Accelerate and traction goes to the rear as needed. Slow and traction goes partially to front as needed for better handling.
    So far this is fairly typical of AWD systems.
    But where SH-AWD comes into its own is in cornering where up to 100 per cent of torque (depending on speed) goes to the outside back wheel as it rotates faster than the inside wheel.

Not only do the rear tires remain stable but the front tires are able to carve through the corner with less sideslip.
    An example of wheree you find this happening is on a highway on ramp.
    As you transit through the bend, the car feels incredibly stable.
    Give it the gas and it still feels like it is on rails instead of trying to “push” to the outside of the curve.
    Cruising down the highway there is also a feeling of solidity along with almost no outside noise or vibration coming into the cabin.
    I advise anyone thinking of buying this car to take it on a twisty road you know and experience it for yourself.

While you might think the “Technology” part of this car’s name is about the SW-AWD system, it’s actually a trim package available on both TL models and includes a nav/infotainment system with, get this, trilingual voice recognition that understands up to 800 verbal commands.
    Part of this is the 440-watt surround sound audio that will play any kind of USB/CD/MP3/satellite you’ve got.
    But it also has a very large centre-dash mounted monitor with backup camera with graded lines.
    As long as you stay between the lines, you won’t bump into anything.

Amazing!
    With a list price of $48,490, and an as tested price of $50,794, there isn’t too much more you’ll need unless you want to indulge in a list of options like super bright chrome 19-inch wheels or full nose mask for our Canadian winters.
    Considered a mid-size car, the TL as tested is bigger inside and out than some domestic full-size cars I can think of and it is also priced about the same as one or two I can think of.
    While the name may have changed, the spirit and quality that made Acura a synonym for quality is still very much there.
    And with its combination of responsive engine and superior handling, the 2010 Acura TL with SH-AWD is a very formidable piece of performance sedan.

At a glance:

Body style: Mid-Size luxury sedan.
    Drive method: front-engine, all-wheel-drive.
    Engine: 3.7-litre SOHC V6 (305 hp, 273 lb/ft).
    Tow rating: NA.
    Fuel economy: Premium; 12.3/100 km city, 8.1/100 km highway
    Price: $48,490, as tested, $50,794.
    Web: www.acura.ca

The 2010 Acura TL with Super Handling All-Wheel-Drive (Technology trim level shown) combines Honda’s legendary engine design with one of the most sophisticated drive trains in its class.
    Iubesc masinile japoneze. Ele nu mint, nu inseala !
    ACURA & HONDA SUV FAN CLUB ROMANIA - http://daimyo.ro/index.php?action=forum

Comment

• 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech, an AW Drivers Log

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010...IEWS/100329921

ASSOCIATE EDITOR JONATHAN WONG: It's nice to see some car companies still believe in the importance of offering a manual transmission. A year after the new TL debuted with SH-AWD, Acura brings us a six-speed manual version to catch the attention of enthusiasts. For the 2009 model year, the SH-AWD was only offered with a five-speed automatic gearbox.
      We can thank the engineers at Honda R&D America for getting the plan for the manual SH-AWD approved and developing it. This is the first time a manual has been used in conjunction with Acura's SH-AWD system, and a few things had to be reworked to make it happen, including the development of stronger engine and transmission cradles and half-shafts.
      Joining the manual in Acura's push to appeal to car enthusiasts is specific suspension tuning for the SH-AWD models with manual transmission. It's noticeably firmer to make this TL feel that much more eager to hustle around. Looking at the curb weight, I find it a bit surprising that it weighs almost 3,900 pounds because it certainly doesn't feel like it when you're behind the wheel.
      Maybe we can credit the potent 305-hp V6, which is more powerful than the late, great NSX which had 252 hp. It's an incredibly smooth powerplant that delivers a strong and consistent pull throughout the band. This along with the six-speed manual gearbox helps make this TL a fun car to drive. I will say that the gearbox isn't the best one found in an Acura (that award goes to the TSX's six-speed), but it's still very good and offers better shift action than ones found in BMWs, in my opinion.
      I only got one night with this TL, but from my short drive you can tell that the ride is a little more stiffly sprung, but there is still some give dialed in to handle and ruts. When pressed, the car rotates well around corners with power seemingly biased toward the rear some. Steering has a pleasing amount of heft to it with good response. Buyers have the option of purchasing their TL SH-AWD with high-performance tires installed, which no doubt will makes things even more interesting in warm weather. We need to get one of those back in the office during the warmer months.
      When it comes to looks, I have to say that it's starting to grow on me. There is a lot going on with the grille and all the exterior lines. Part of me longs for the cleaner body of the previous car in Type S trim, though. I do really like the interior with the great and supportive seats, great-looking materials and the busy center stack. Yes, there are lots of buttons, but it's not long before you learn where everything is and it becomes a cinch to operate.
      In all, this is a great sporty midsize-luxury entry that is rather affordably priced. To compare, a base BMW 5-series with xDrive starts at $48,000, while a base Audi A6 sedan begins at $45,000.

SENIOR WEB REPORTER GREG MIGLIORE: The Acura TL is a nice blend of refinement, athleticism and comfort. It's like the proverbial white dress shirt, suitable for all occasions.
      This six-speed manual returns solid shifts and makes you feel like you're driving something sporty. Staid, button-downed old money is far from your mind. Still, the gearbox is a bit notchy and I found myself regearing at times, though that was probably unnecessary. Regardless, the transmission gives you an interactive feeling. It channels the 305 hp of this excellent V6 efficiently, and passing and acceleration is a breeze. Blitzing away from lights and clipping by slower motorists on the expressways are no problem with this smooth powerplant.
      All-wheel drive added a nice element of safety and peace of mind while navigating snowy conditions. You can even chirp the tires to amuse yourself. It returns respectable fuel economy, too.
      I give props to Acura for taking some risks with this design. The front end is gutsy--Acura is trying here--though it is a bit locomotive-esque. It still stands out more than Lexus models in my opinion, and all the lines and chrome parts on the Acura say sophistication. Is this as good as the eye-catching Mercedes-Benz E-class or the angular, simply gorgeous Cadillac CTS? No, but it's still a solid effort and offers a mainstream look. I liked the lights and casings front and rear, though the fascia in front seems a bit too busy. The appearance is capped by the wheels, which have a very cool design. Oh, and you have to love the exhaust outlets. Can anyone say Acura hot rod?
      Inside I found the cabin to be a pleasing setting with nice leather and a general feeling of comfort. The center stack was a bit too spread out; it just seemed as if there are a lot of buttons and numbers.
      Crisp steering, stout brakes--overall this is a solid competitor in a fierce segment. I wouldn't say it's the best or boldest, but it's a consistently a nice performer in nearly all areas.

2010 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech

Base Price: $43,195
      As-Tested Price: $43,195
      Drivetrain: 3.7-liter V6; AWD, six-speed manual
      Output: 305 hp @ 6,300 rpm, 273 lb-ft @ 5,000 rpm
      Curb Weight: 3,889 lb
      Fuel Economy (EPA) : 21 mpg
      Options: None

Comment

• YouTube - Acura TL "Road"

YouTube - New Acura TL.flv
        tokyodream
        Last edited by tokyodream; 30-03-10, 15:07.

Comment

• Long Term Update 6: 2009 Acura TL

From the June, 2010 issue of Motor Trend
          / By Ron Kiino
          / Photography by Jessica Germiller

Listing the TL's most compelling attributes, senior editor Ron Kiino notes, "The 3.7-liter V-6 is a refined engine that sings sweetly and loves to rev. The SH-AWD system is brilliant, albeit a little heavy (the TL weighs nearly 4000 pounds), rotating the car through corners with surprising eagerness and precision. Inside, the TL's got Bluetooth phone and audio capability, nav traffic and weather, satellite radio, Zagat restaurant guide, and, here's the zinger, a nav system that can be operated while on the move. We all understand the dangers of a driver operating a nav while on the move, but preventing the front passenger from using the nav while on the go seems ridiculous. Many times during our weekend in San Francisco, my wife entered addresses and searched for points of interest while I was getting us lost. Had we been in, say, a Lexus, we'd have had to pull over and stop to use the nav, even though she could fully and safely operate it from the passenger seat.

"The TL SH-AWD's best attribute -- and I mention the SH-AWD part because it's unique to this top-level trim -- is its thick-rimmed leather-wrapped sport steering wheel with contrast stitching. I'm always amazed when a so-called performance car -- the Camaro comes to mind -- slights drivers with an awkward and/or ugly wheel that delights neither hands nor eyes. The TL, conversely, is a car you want to get in and drive, if only to enjoy the helm's tactilely pleasing leather and contours."

Comment

• 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech: "Never Can Say Goodbye"

Dropping off the new Acura TL SH-AWD at the airport...

"Tell me why? Is it so? Don't wanna let you go," sang MIchael on the Jackson Five's Never Can Say Goodbye. Those lyrics are the perfect words to describe my feelings after six days of sublime driving behind the wheel of the 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD TECH. No doubt, it was one of THE hardest goodbyes I've said this year after the completion of a new model test drive!
            Comparing the TL alongside other mid size luxury sedans to include Audi's A4, BMW's 3 series, Cadillac's CTS, Hyundai's Genesis, Infiniti's G and the Mercedes C Class -- its exterior appeal competes head to head and toe to toe! It's sharp, somewhat curvy / chiseled body lines (as introduced last year's new body design) includes Acura's new and quite noticeable signature front and rear (with spoiler above) grills--both of which I love. The new design has brought the TL (and the RL as well) out of the center and to the edge of design.
            And while all of this is true, what's beneath it all put's the "m" in the cats meow!

TL's SHAWD (Super Handling All Wheel Drive) distributing power to the front and rear axles and between the rear wheels based on the analysis of conditions, coupled a 305 horsepower V6 engine, puts the "f" in fun! On a curve--where up to 70% of the torque can be directed to the rear outside wheel (where the weight has shifted), cornering is drastically improved to bring you out of the curve as graceful as a dove on steroids.
            Even while driving a straight line, SH-AWD works in your favor delivering 90% of the power to the front wheels for greater fuel economy. If and when sudden, or hard acceleration is applied, 70% of the power can be transferred to the rear wheel.
            Not only is the interior quiet, but quite comfortable as well. Totally keyless, (start/stop, entry and exit), TL's hard drive navigation system includes both traffic and weather updates to keep you in the know along each day's journey. The 10-speaker stereo system (by Panasonic) was pretty decent as well.

Although the perforated premium leather trimmed sport seats were heated, the absence of a cooling feature is perhaps the only thing I missed in this entry level luxury sedan. I'd also add a sixth gear to the offered five speed transmission. Nevertheless, at approximately $42,500, yielding 17 miles per gallon in the city and 25 on the highway for an estimated annual fuel cost of $2,100 (15,000 miles annually with gas at $2.80 per gallon), I'd buy this car and call it my own any day of any week!
            With all of this in mind can you imagine the thrill of my experience over the past few days? I tell you, while driving through the streets of Atlanta and various freeways---especially the on and off ramps, I was so reminded of the lyrics rapped by Atlanta's own Ludacris, where he says: "When I move you move--just like that!" Honestly, I thought twice about leaving for Switzerland yesterday and holding out for just one more day on the road in the TL!

For more information (and believe me, I've only scratched the surface, check out Acura.

http://www.examiner.com/x-2127-Atlan...Autos-Examiner

Comment

• 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD Review

SEE ALSO: ACURA BUYERS GUIDE
              DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD
              WITH CAREY RUSS
              2010 Acura TL SH-AWD

The spirit that gave the world such gems as the Acura NSX and Integra GS-R and Type R lives on in the new-for-2010 TL SH-AWD® with six-speed manual gearbox.
              When the fourth generation of the TL, Acura's core-model sedan, debuted for the 2009 model year, it was slightly larger outside, for increased and improved interior space, and better-equipped than the car it replaced. After all, it competes in one of the toughest classes in the automotive world, mid-level performance/luxury. BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Lexus, Infiniti, Cadillac, and Lincoln all have one or more entries. So product differentiation and distinctiveness are a must.
              With a 3.5-liter, 280-horsepower VTEC® V6, five-speed "Sequential Sportshift" automatic, and front-wheel drive, the "base" TL is nearly as potent as the previous generation's performance-oriented Type S. That model's place has been taken by the TL SH-AWD. Introduced last year with the automatic and a larger and more powerful 3.7-liter, 305-horsepower V6 coupled to a sophisticated "Super Handling-All-Wheel Drive" system that optimally gets that power to the ground in dry as well as winter conditions, and a more performance-oriented suspension tuning, Acura has now upped the ante with the manual model.
              That a stick-shift performance-luxury sedan is now the option is a sign of the times, as automatics have improved considerably from the ancient days of "slushboxes" and even first-line racing cars no longer use the traditional manual transmission. Maybe five percent of cars sold today have sticks, and most of those are in the class in which the TL competes. A stick demands a higher degree of involvement with the vehicle, and physical and mental coordination on the part of the driver, than an automatic. And so, for the enthusiast driver, is more rewarding. And to make the manual TL SH-AWD even more rewarding for that sort of driver, its suspension and driveline are further upgraded from regular SH-AWD specification. The result is a car that is a proud continuation of a line pioneered by the NSX and Integra Type R.
              Fittingly, my first experience with the 2010 TL SH-AWD stick was on a racetrack, at a journalists' association test day. The car was impressive - the harder I pushed it, the happier it felt. No lap records were in danger - the purpose of such an event is to be able to drive comfortably fast but still well within one's limits, without having to worry about flashing lights in the rear-view mirror. The TL was popular, and circulated all day long, none the worse for wear. Well, except for the tires…
              The same car, with what was left of the same tires, showed up in my driveway last week. It worked as well on the street as it did on the track, giving a very pleasurable driving experience. The AWD system neatly eliminates torque steer, and despite the high-performance tuned suspension the ride quality is supple enough for maximum seat time. Which is also enhanced by the inclusion of Acura's Technology Package with upgraded leather sport seats and navigation, communications, and premium audio systems. The stick-shift TL SH-AWD establishes Acura's presence in the mid-size performance-luxury field.

APPEARANCE: If Acura's massive grille is controversial, at least it's distinctive and immediately identifiable. As is the dynamically-angular shape, with well-defined lines, low, wide headlamps, prominent wheel arches, and long, arched, near-fastback passenger cabin. Large LED taillights, stainless steel trim, and "quad" exhaust tips define the rear.

COMFORT: Welcome to what Acura calls "intelligent luxury". The TL does not have the overstuffed softness of Old American Luxury, nor does it have the near-austerity of the German interpretation. With visually busy forms and multiple materials and textures, think "tuner sport-compact does luxury". Which, come to think of it, is the car's mien, and factory tuner car at that. With the stick, the SH-AWD gets the Technology Package, which means all of the current high-tech accoutrements: pushbutton start/stop and keyless entry, voice-activated navigation system with real-time traffic display and re-routing and real-time weather forecasts and visual doppler radar display, upgraded seats, and an upgraded AM/FM/XM/CD/USB/minijack audio system. The driving experience is improved by good ergonomics, an instrument panel with clearly visible backlit instruments and easy-to-use controls (including the nav system) and a tilt- and telescope-adjustable leather-rimmed steering wheel with cruise, phone, and auxiliary audio controls. The rear seat will comfortably hold two medium-sized adults and has a ski-passthrough and armrest in the center. It doesn't fold, all the better for structural integrity and chassis rigidity. The medium-sized trunk has a moderate opening and a space-saver spare under its floor.

SAFETY: Acura's "Advanced Compatibility Engineering" (ACE™)means that the TL's structure is designed and built to protect passengers with a strong central structure and dissipate crash energy as much as possible for further protection. Six airbags -- dual front, front seat side, and side curtain -- are standard, as are four-wheel antilock disc brakes with EBD and Brake Assist, Vehicle Stability Assist, a tire-pressure monitoring system, and daytime running lights. The TL scores the highest ratings -- five stars -- for crash front, side, and rollover protection in government tests. The backup camera that is part of the Technology Package aids vision to the rear.

RIDE AND HANDLING: This is a car that works best when it's being driven hard. If it feels a little loose and imprecise going slowly, that all goes away as the active torque vectoring of the SH-AWD sends torque to the outside rear wheel during hard cornering for maximum traction. It actually rotates the outside rear wheel faster than the front axle to help reduce understeer and push the car forward. The SH-AWD electronic control system is integrated with the Vehicle Stability Assist™system and uses active electronics and electromagnetic clutches to vary torque distribution from 90% front in normal cruising to 30/70 front/rear under hard acceleration, with up to 100% of rear axle torque sent to one wheel if necessary. Think of it as analogous to the control systems in jet fighters. Add it to a firm double wishbone/multilink suspension and large, sticky 245/40 ZR19 tires on alloy wheels and the result is world class cornering prowess.

PERFORMANCE: Being the performance flagship of the TL line means that the SH-AWD gets more engine than the regular model. While basically the same as the 3.5-liter V6 in the base model, the SH-AWD's 3.7-liter engine has a greater bore and stroke, for more displacement, and minor internal differences. Oil jets directly to the underside of the piston crowns allow higher compression and so more power -- and with 305 horsepower (at 6300 rpm) and 273 lb-ft of torque (at 5000 rpm) it's the most-powerful Acura engine ever. The VTEC® variable valve control system works on both intake and exhaust valves, changing from low-speed efficiency mode to high-speed maximum-performance mode seamlessly at 4700 rpm. The large displacement and low-speed cam profile ensure plentiful low-rpm torque for reasonable fuel efficiency -- up to 30 mpg at moderate highway speeds -- but if you're gonna play, you're gonna pay at the pump, with 15 to 18 mpg more likely on the street and a lot less on the track. Horsepower = fuel + air; more horsepower = more fuel. The six-speed manual gearbox is a gem, with a lovely short-throw shifter, crisp linkage, and well-chosen gear ratios conspiring to further increase the fun quotient.

CONCLUSIONS: The spirit of high-tech high performance lives on at Acura in the guise of the 2010 TL SH-AWD 6MT.

DATE TEHNICE =>

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...09/476819.html

Comment

• Acura announces limited edition TL A-Spec

Toronto, Ontario – The new Acura TL A-Spec limited edition package is now available in Canada, priced at $51,290. The package adds 19-inch wheels, an aero kit and other features.
                The 2010 TL A-Spec features Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) and includes all of the features of the TL SH-AWD Technology Package trim, with either a six-speed manual transmission or five-speed automatic transmission.
                Unique to the A-Spec are its 19-inch alloy wheels with summer performance tires, full aero kit package with front, side and rear skirts, midnight chrome grille and rear piece, and A-Spec badge and floor mats.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2010/0...-tl-a-spec.htm

Comment

• For Canadian Eyes Only: New 2010 Acura TL A-Spec Released

Mazda isn’t the only automaker launching a special-edition car for the Canadian market.

Acura just unveiled the new 2010 TL A-Spec model, which will only be offered to customers in Canada.

Although the A-Spec treatment doesn’t tweak any mechanical bits, it does dress up the TL’s angular exterior. The package adds unique 19-inch aluminum wheels shod with summer performance tires, new front and rear fascias, matching side skirts, and dark chrome finish applied to the grille and rear trim. Unique “A-Spec” badges and floor mats round out the package.

Apart from these changes, the A-Spec is a typical TL SH-AWD model equipped with the technology package, which throws in virtually all the bells and whistles Acura offers -- navigation, voice-activated controls, premium Milano leather seating, an upgraded sound system, and GPS-linked climate controls. Thanks to its upgraded wheels and tires, the A-Spec essentially becomes the top-end model in Canada.

Disappointed the TL A-Spec isn’t destined for the U.S? Don’t be. If you’re enamored with the cosmetic revisions shown here, TL owners can spring for the dealer-installed Sport Package B. Costing roughly $5600, the accessory pack adds everything added to the A-spec, save for the badging, floor mats, and this particular 19-inch wheel pattern (a 10-spoke design, however, is included).

Source: Acura

Comment

• am facut un roadtest cu modelul 2012 al TL AWD automat... absolut delectabil la un pret rezonabil (43k USD fara taxe) oricum putere si dinamica apropiate de BMW 335xi cu mai mult spatiu si mai multe dotari in aceeasi bani. cat pe ce sa imi schimb decizia de merge pe MDX ( in final am ramas pe MDX din considerente utilitare).

suspensia mi s-a parut perfect calibrata ( complianta la denivelari dar foarte asezata in acelasi timp), acceleratia liniara, transmisa schimaba ipercebtibil si retroigadeaza prompt cand apesi pedala brusc, manevrabilitate perfecta, se simte mai usoara decat greutatea sugereaza. noul design e mai sedat desi ramane controversat. problema e ca in aceeasi bani sunt si alte maisni bune si ca varianta de baza FWD este mediocra.

din pacate generatia curenta TL nu are verva modelului precedent ( care a fost multa vreme in coasta BMW serie 3 pe piata nord-americana) fiind mai apropiata de experienta Lexus ES decat a seriei 3. de asemenea TL a fost surclasat iin vanzari si de Cadilac CTS, Infiniti G, Merc C klasse si A4.
                    Marius -Iulian
                    Last edited by Marius -Iulian; 21-08-11, 06:10.
                    ex Civic mk.7 EX sedan 2002, 1.7VTEC
                    ex Acura TL 2006, 3.2 V6 SOHC VTEC
                    Civic Si sedan 2007, 2.0 DOHC iVTEC
                    Acura MDX 2011, 3.7 V6 SOHC VTEC

Comment

• Microreview: Acura TL Worthy of Attention it Seeks

What it is: A mid-priced sports sedan from Honda’s luxury division.
                      Base prices range from $35,605 to $39,155.
                      Mileage ranges from 17 miles per gallon in the city to 29 miles per gallon on the highway.
                      What’s worth knowing: Acura has struggled for attention in a luxury segment crowded with sharp offerings. The TL sits in the middle of Acura’s lineup, priced above the TSX and below the RL. If you’re not familiar with it, well, that’s part of Acura’s problem.
                      Who it’s for: Affluent drivers who appreciate Honda’s terrific engineering.
                      What’s good: The TL shines on the pavement, with a 280-horsepower V-6 engine that outruns many competitors and handling that’s a nice compromise between comfortable and sporty. The base model is front-wheel drive, but motoring purists can upgrade to the all-wheel drive SH-AWD model, which includes a 305-horsepower V-6 and is one of the racier cars within range of $40,000. The TL comes with leather upholstery and all the basic trappings of a luxury car. Average mileage of 23 MPG for the base model is reasonably good for a powerful sedan.
                      What’s bad: The dash can get cluttered, especially with the optional technology package. Some reviewers find the angular, protruding nose to be off-putting, even though Acura reined it in a bit for the 2012 model year.
                      How it stacks up: The TL is a strong all-around vehicle with excellent acceleration, but other cars have an edge in one category or another. The BMW 3 series is more feathery on curves. The Audi A4 is more dashing. The Infiniti G series comes with rear-wheel drive, for slightly surer handling at a lower starting price. The Cadillac CTS is more showy.
                      What to do if you want one: Pay attention to what reviewers say, but don’t worry about the beaky styling or minor performance gradations if they don’t bother you. The TL is a satisfying car from one of the most reliable automakers.

Rick Newman
                      is the Chief Business Correspondent for U.S. News & World Report and a longtime car buff. He covers corporate and consumer trends from the magazine's New York bureau. Rick is also the magazine's car reviewer and writer his "micro-reviews" here on a regular basis.

Follow Rick on Twitter: @rickjnewman.

http://www.thedailysleepyhollow.com/wheels/microreview-acura-tl-worthy-attention-it-seeks

Comment

• A voyage of wedding-day reminiscence

http://thechronicleherald.ca/wheelsnews/58708-voyage-wedding-day-reminiscence

Garry says:
                        “Ahhh, SH-AWD is just what we need on this little day trip." The grin on my face tells Lisa just how excited I am to be putting the sleek white Acura TL through its paces.
                        The fresh snow on the Glooscap Trail between Economy and Advocate Harbour, one of my favorite Nova Scotia drives, is indeed providing a prime real-life workout for the Acura’s Super Handling All-Wheel-Drive system that responds faithfully to the driver’s input, resulting in outstanding vehicle stability and cornering performance.
                        I know this is supposed to be a voyage of reminiscence of our wedding day at Upper Economy’s Four Seasons Retreat but I’m getting carried away with the scenery, the brightness of the fresh snow and the superb handling characteristics of this new Acura.
                        We stop for fuel in Parrsboro. The wind is howling and the ‘full serve’ pump is where these brats pull up.
                        “I like the feel of this car. It’s balanced, comfortable and fun to drive.” Lisa has this dreamy look on her face and doesn’t seem to be registering what I’m saying.
                        I’ve always been a rear drive guy when it comes to cars, preferring to leave power delivery to all four wheels to SUVs, pick-up and army trucks. But this Acura SH-AWD is chipping away at my stubborn refusal to embrace the advantages of sophisticated all-wheel-drive systems available on lots of new passenger cars.
                        The sun is setting over the Bay of Fundy as we approach Advocate Harbour.
                        It‘s Lisa’s turn to drive and as I settle back in the passenger’s seat my mind switches from drive systems to all those years ago when this road carried a couple of newlyweds on the first day of the rest of their lives.
                        Lisa is concentrating on driving and the snow that is drifting across the road in places now but still has a dreamy look on her face.
                        I lean over and whisper in her ear. “See what I mean about this Acura’s Super Handling All-Wheel-Drive system.”
                        Lisa says:
                        Aaah February, the month of romance and the day of Saint Valentine, which happens to be the day that Garry proposed marriage to me many years ago on a dam in California at sunset. I said yes.
                        Today, we’re driving the wintry roads of Nova Scotia and find ourselves in Upper Economy, where so many years ago we celebrated our wedding with family and close friends at a retreat perched on the edge of the tumultuous Bay of Fundy.
                        I’m drifting in and out of daydreaming between the past and the present. Our famillies scattered throughout the property in quaint cottages with whimsical names like Mayflower, Trillium and Lady Slipper. After the ceremony, held in a gazebo on the edge of a cliff, we loaded everyone onto a school bus and drove the entire party up the road to a cheese farm for dinner. Cheesey.
                        It rained off and on that September day but the sun came out in time for sunset and splashes of cranberry and peach painted the clouds with the dusty hues of approaching autumn. The light today is a wintry facsimile. The Bay of Fundy looks spectacular as always.
                        The group of cottages are quaint and cozy with the fresh-fallen snow muffling sounds. Garry’s muttering over there behind the wheel about the Super Handling All Wheel Drive in the 2012 Acura TL: how it sticks to corners, how balanced the vehicle is, how it’s eating up the snowy roads. At least I assume that’s what he’s muttering about. I’m lost in my romantic musings.
                        It’s my turn behind the wheel and night has fallen. The snow is thick on the roads of remote Cape Chignecto. A 30-cm snowfall the previous day hasn’t yet been entirely ploughed so the cleared centre line is my friend. Luckily there is not another soul on the road out here on this black winter’s night. The sure-footed Acura handles the mix of packed and loose snow with aplomb. There is not one second that I doubt its handling of tight corners on the hilly, twisty roads or its ability to make it up the steep climbs.
                        Garry is in the passenger seat chatting away but I’m focused on the white road ahead, pitch black at the edges of the tunnel of brilliant light in front of me. The steering wheel feels like part of my hands. I’m in the moment, I am the driver, the car and the road.
                        I’m in love.

Comment

• http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/life...ve-253679.html

Acura TL Should Find More Love

Acura’s struggles to keep pace with luxury competitors are well-documented. While most were going rear-drive and installing ever more powerful V8 engines, Acura stuck to its Honda strategy of front-drive platforms and V6 powertrains. Acura looked stuck in the mud.

Now that every other automaker is retreating to V6s in search of better fuel economy, Acura looks much brainier. The TL should find more love.

What didn’t find much love was the big silver shield on the front of recent Acuras. It looked more appropriate on SUVs than refined luxury sedans. So designers better integrated the design into the grille, redesigned the front bumper, updated the headlights, and shortened the front overhang for a more sophisticated appearance.

Now, we can appreciate the fastback roofline, batwing taillamps, and expert body surfacing over the front wheels and on the rear deck. I liked the car before, but I think many others will now.

The TL’s starship interior had its own share of controversy. If you’re looking for warm wood and stitched dash coverings, look elsewhere. However, the car’s dual cockpit dash design, metal-look finishes, and large analog gauges convey the car’s sporting nature.

The center control layout is an array of similar looking buttons, but once you’re familiar with them, it is easy to command the voice-activated navigation, automatic climate control, and 440-watt Premium Audio System.

Unless you do something incredibly stupid, you cannot get this car to misbehave.

USB inputs for iPods and Bluetooth bring the car up to modern standards. God knows why anybody does it, but owners can store up to 15GB of music (3,500 songs) on board. Safety is enhanced with an available blind spot warning system. Best of all are the brown leather seats with heat and ventilation.

If fuel efficiency is your goal, go for the front-drive TL and its 3.5-liter V6 to enjoy fuel economy ratings of 20/29-MPG city/hwy.

I would choose the “Super Handling” SH-AWD edition with its 305 hp 3.7-liter V6 attached to a torque-shifting system that over-spins wheels on corners for a rear-drive affect. A paddle-shift 6-speed automatic transmission adds control.

Unless you do something incredibly stupid, you cannot get this car to misbehave. Fuel economy for the larger engine is a still-respectable 18/26-MPG city/hwy.

2012 Acura TL SH-AWD Advance

5-passenger AWD sedan
                          Powertrain: 305 hp 3.7-L V6, 6-spd auto trans
                          Suspension f/r: Ind./Ind
                          Wheels: 19”/19” alloy f/r
                          Brakes: Disc fr/rr with ABS
                          Must-have feature: Style, handling
                          Manufacturing: Marysville, OH
                          Fuel economy (city/hwy.): 18/26-MPG
                          As-tested price: $45,970

I had this sleigh for the holidays, which meant a quick trip up two-lane roads to my parents’ place and the long way home via 100 miles of Interstate. The big, thick steering wheel and sport seats are all-day comfortable while the chassis is firm, but compliant enough on the open road. Step into the throttle and you can dust off a line of cars in whiff.

The AWD system lives up to its billing on corners. I get the feeling that the TL could blow through snowdrifts as well as it storms on-ramps.

The TL’s problem remains: how does Acura convince buyers of $45,000 luxury sedans to choose its car over the BMW 3-Series, Mercedes C-Class, Infiniti G37, Cadillac CTS, or even the Hyundai Genesis?

It’s all about personal preference, but the TL’s refined styling, sporting interior, efficiency, and impressive handling seem like great places to start.

Comment

• Va salut.Daca e cineva interesat am de vanzare Acura tl din 2005 3.2 v6 full a fost avriata si am renuntat sa mai repar pe ea si am achizitionat un subaru,deci in mare parte e facuta si ar mai avea nevoie de planetara ,bara parbriz si vopsea.sau varianta cea ma trista....o dezmembrez....mai are nevoie si de aibaguri frontale

Comment

• Bruce Audley’s 1999 Acura TL Reaches 1,000,000 Kms:

http://acuraconnected.com/2016/10/13...a+Connected%29

Comment

• 2007 Acura TL Type-S: Schmuck-Built Turbo TL

http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea...ura-tl-type-s/

Video: The History of the Acura TL Sport Sedan & What Lies Ahead

https://acuraconnected.com/2020/03/0...a+Connected%29

The History of the Acura TL Sport Sedan & What Lies Ahead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R2W...ture=emb_title

Jewel Eye Headlights on the 2008 Acura TL Type S

https://acuraconnected.com/2020/03/1...ura-tl-type-s/

Video: The 2008 Acura TL Type S

https://acuraconnected.com/2020/03/1...ura-tl-type-s/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhO5...ture=emb_title

Comment

Working...
                                X